The Impact of Corporate Taxation on Foreign Direct Investment: a Survey
AbstractThis paper reviews the literature on factors influencing the allocation of foreign direct investments, with respect to the significant role of corporate taxation policy. The review includes Bucovetsky’s tax competition model where countries are assumed to be asymmetric. Empirical studies of S¸rensen (2000), Root and Ahmed (1978), Mooij and Ederveen (2003) are touched upon in the survey. The paper helps to understand the importance of tax policy in attracting foreign investments to the country. The survey assumes effective enforcement to highlight the impact of taxation on foreign investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology in its series Working Papers with number 182.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Working Papers in Economics.School of Economics and Business Administration,Tallinn University of Technology (TUTWPE), Pages 29-50
impact of tax policy; foreign direct investments; determinants of foreign direct investments; tax competition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicodeme, Gaetan, 2006. "Corporate Tax Competition and Coordination in the European Union: What do we know? Where do we stand?," MPRA Paper 107, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael J. Boskin & William G. Gale, 1988.
"New Results on the Effects of Tax Policy on the International Location of Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
1862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Boskin & William G. Gale, 1987. "New Results on the Effects of Tax Policy on the International Location of Investment," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation, pages 201-222 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1999. "Theories of Tax Competition," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 2), pages 269-304, June Cita.
- Peter Birch Sørensen, 2000. "The case for international tax co-ordination reconsidered," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(31), pages 429-472, October.
- Lahiri, S & Ono, Y, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Local Content Requirement, and Profit Taxation,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0438, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1998. "Foreign Direct Investment, Local Content Requirement, and Profit Taxation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 444-57, March.
- Ruud de Mooij & S. Ederveen, 2001.
"Taxation and foreign direct investment; a synthesis of empirical research,"
CPB Discussion Paper
3, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- de Mooij, Ruud A & Ederveen, Sjef, 2003. "Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 10(6), pages 673-93, November.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2001. "Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research," CESifo Working Paper Series 588, CESifo Group Munich.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Amina Lahrèche-Revil, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Prospects for Tax Co-Ordination in Europe," Working Papers 2000-06, CEPII research center.
- Frey, Bruno S. & Eichenberger, Reiner, 1996. "To harmonize or to compete? That's not the question," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 335-349, June.
- Hannes Winner, 2005. "Has Tax Competition Emerged in OECD Countries? Evidence from Panel Data," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(5), pages 667-687, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Urve Venesaar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.