Content Analysis of Strategic Issue Research 1980-2006
AbstractBuilding on the achievements of the previous research on strategic issue management practices, this paper provides a systematization of the main body of strategic issue management research into three main research streams. These include research on individual issue perception, intra-organizational actions in the strategic issue management context, and organizational responses to strategic issues. Our paper also provides a detailed analysis of linkages between perception research and research on organizational responses to strategic issues. Based on this analysis, we find that direct linkages can be drawn between the two research areas due to the commonly accepted categorization of strategic issues as opportunities and threats. As a synthesis of our review, we put forward a conceptual model of the linkages between the research on issue perception and organizational responses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology in its series Working Papers with number 178.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Working Papers in Economics.School of Economics and Business Administration,Tallinn University of Technology (TUTWPE), Pages 135-148
Strategy process; strategic issue management; cognition; upper echelon;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L19 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Other
- L29 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B�rd Kuvaas, 2002. "An Exploration of Two Competing Perspectives on Informational Contexts in Top Management Strategic Issue Interpretation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(7), pages 977-1001, November.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Daniel R. Denison & Joel A. Kahn & Stuart L. Hart, 1996. "Organizational Context And The Interpretation Of Strategic Issues: A Note On Ceos' Interpretations Of Foreign Investment," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(4), pages 453-474, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Urve Venesaar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.