Development and Social Goals: Balancing Aid and Development to Prevent ‘Welfare Colonialism’
AbstractIn the paper the author tries to explain why the Millennium Goals, with which the world community is approaching the social problems in the poor countries, cannot be considered as good social policy in the long run. The key insight of the author is that having an inefficient manufacturing sector produces a higher standard of living than having no manufacturing sector at all.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by TUT Ragnar Nurkse School of Innovation and Governance in its series The Other Canon Foundation and Tallinn University of Technology Working Papers in Technology Governance and Economic Dynamics with number 03.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Erik S. Reinert, 2006. "Development and Social Goals: Balancing Aid and Development to Prevent ‘Welfare Colonialism’," Working Papers 14, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-06-10 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinert, Erik S. & Kattel, Rainer, 2004. "The Qualitative Shift in European Integration: Towards permanent wage pressures and a ‘Latin-Americanization’ of Europe?," MPRA Paper 47909, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erik S. Reinert, 1999. "The role of the state in economic growth," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(4/5), pages 268-326, September.
- List, Friedrich, 1885. "The National System of Political Economy," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number list1885.
- Lance Taylor, 2009. "Growth, Development Policy,Job Creation and Poverty Reduction," Working Papers 90, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oliver Lillepruun).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.