Perception of Health Risk and Averting Behavior: An Analysis of Household Water Consumption in Southwest Sri Lanka
AbstractUsing household data from surveys made in Sri Lanka, we provide original results regarding i) factors driving the perception of risk related to water consumption and ii) the role of perceived risk on household’s decision to treat water before drinking it. First, we find evidence that water aesthetic attributes (taste, smell, and color), household’s education and information about hygiene practices drive household’s assessment of safety risk. Second, we show that a higher perceived risk increases the probability that households boil or filter water before drinking it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) in its series TSE Working Papers with number 09-139.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
water consumption; risk perception; averting behavior;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2010-05-22 (Development)
- NEP-HEA-2010-05-22 (Health Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Johanna CHOUMERT & Eric Nazindigouba KERE & Amandine Loyale LARé, 2014.
"The impact of water and sanitation access on housing values: The case of Dapaong, Togo,"
- Johanna Choumert & Eric Nazindigouba KERE & Amandine Loyale LARÃ©, 2014. "The impact of water and sanitation access on housing values: The case of Dapaong, Togo," Working Papers halshs-00939267, HAL.
- Johanna Choumert & Jesper STAGE & Claudine UWERA, 2014.
"Access to water as a determinant of rental values: A hedonic analysis in Rwanda,"
- Johanna CHOUMERT & Claudine UWERA & Jesper STAGE, 2014. "Access to water as a determinant of rental values: A hedonic analysis in Rwanda," Working Papers 201401, CERDI.
- CÃ©line Nauges & Dale Whittington, 2010.
"Estimation of Water Demand in Developing Countries: An Overview,"
World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group,
World Bank Group, vol. 25(2), pages 263-294, August.
- NAUGES CÃƒÂ©line & WHITTINGTON Dale, 2008. "Estimation of Water Demand in Developing Countries: An Overview," LERNA Working Papers, LERNA, University of Toulouse 08.20.264, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Onjala, Joseph & Ndiritu, Simon Wagura & Stage, Jesper, 2013. "Risk Perception, Choice of Drinking Water, and Water Treatment: Evidence from Kenyan Towns," Discussion Papers, Resources For the Future dp-13-10-efd, Resources For the Future.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.