The Role of Financial Sector Competition for Monetary Policy
AbstractIn this paper, we examine the impact of competition in the banking industry on ?nancial market activity. In particular, we explore this issue in a setting where banks simultaneously insure individuals against liquid- ity risk and o¤er loans to promote intertemporal consumption smoothing. In addition, spatial separation and private information generate a trans- actions role for money. Interestingly, we demonstrate that the industrial organization of the ?nancial system bears signi?cant implications for the e¤ects of monetary policy. Under perfect competition, higher rates of money growth lead to lower interest rates and a higher volume of lending activity. In contrast, in a monopoly banking sector, money growth restricts the availability of funds and raises the cost of borrowing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by College of Business, University of Texas at San Antonio in its series Working Papers with number 0069.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Monetary Policy; Financial Sector Concentration; Price Competition;
Other versions of this item:
- Edgar A. Ghossoub & Thanarak Laosuthi & Robert R. Reed, 2012. "The role of financial sector competition for monetary policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(1), pages 270-287, February.
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tarishi Matsuoka, 2011. "Monetary Policy and Banking Structure," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(6), pages 1109-1129, 09.
- Ghossoub, Edgar A., 2012. "Liquidity risk and financial competition: Implications for asset prices and monetary policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 155-173.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eddie Salinas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.