The elicitation of time preferences
AbstractWe compare three methods for the elicitation of time preferences in an experimental setting: the Becker-DeGroot-Marschak (BDM) procedure (BDM), a second price auction and the multiple price list format. The first two methods have been used rarely to elicit time preferences. Although all methods used are broadly strategically equivalent, and should induce the same 'truthful' revelation, we find that the methods do differ: the money discount rates elicited with the multiple price list tend to be higher than those elicited with the other two methods. Furthermore, there are no significant differences between the rates elicited with the BDM and the auction elicitation procedure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cognitive and Experimental Economics Laboratory, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia in its series CEEL Working Papers with number 0806.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2008-07-20 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-EXP-2008-07-20 (Experimental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manzini, Paola & Mariotti, Marco, 2007.
"Choice Over Time,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2993, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Oksana Tokarchuk, 2008. "Construction of time preference: an investigation of the role of elicitation method in experimental elicitation of time preference," DISA Working Papers 0808, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 11 Nov 2008.
- David J. Hardisty & Katherine F. Thompson & David H. Krantz & Elke U. Weber, 2013. "How to measure time preferences: An experimental comparison of three methods," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 8(3), pages 236-249, May.
- Vischer, Thomas & Dohmen, Thomas & Falk, Armin & Huffman, David & Schupp, Jürgen & Sunde, Uwe & Wagner, Gert G., 2013.
"Validating an Ultra-Short Survey Measure of Patience,"
EconStor Open Access Articles,
ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Vischer, Thomas & Dohmen, Thomas & Falk, Armin & Huffman, David & Schupp, Jürgen & Sunde, Uwe & Wagner, Gert G., 2013. "Validating an ultra-short survey measure of patience," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 142-145.
- Thomas Vischer & Thomas Dohmen & Armin Falk & David Huffman & Jürgen Schupp & Uwe Sunde & Gert G. Wagner, 2012. "Validating an Ultra-Short Survey Measure of Patience," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 499, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Tecilla).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.