Small Sample Properties of Alternative Tests for Martingale Difference Hypothesis
AbstractA Monte Carlo experiment is conducted to compare power properties of alternative tests for the martingale difference hypothesis. Overall, we find that the wild bootstrap automatic variance ratio test shows the highest power against linear dependence; while the generalized spectral test performs most desirably under non-linear dependence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, La Trobe University in its series Working Papers with number 2010.07.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Monte Carlo experiment; Non-linear dependence; Portmanteau test; Variance ratio test;
Other versions of this item:
- Charles, Amélie & Darné, Olivier & Kim, Jae H., 2011. "Small sample properties of alternative tests for martingale difference hypothesis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 151-154, February.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Escanciano, J. Carlos & Velasco, Carlos, 2006.
"Generalized spectral tests for the martingale difference hypothesis,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 151-185, September.
- J. Carlos Escanciano & Carlos Velasco, 2003. "Generalized Spectral Tests For The Martingale Difference Hypothesis," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws035212, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Escanciano, J. Carlos & Lobato, Ignacio N., 2009. "An automatic Portmanteau test for serial correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 140-149, August.
- Manuel Dominguez & Ignacio Lobato, 2003. "Testing the Martingale Difference Hypothesis," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 351-377.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988.
"Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989. "Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test," NBER Working Papers 2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "VRATIO: RATS procedure to implement variance ratio unit root test procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00231, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lobato, Ignacio & Nankervis, John C & Savin, N E, 2001. "Testing for Autocorrelation Using a Modified Box-Pierce Q Test," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(1), pages 187-205, February.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Choi, In, 1999. "Testing the Random Walk Hypothesis for Real Exchange Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 293-308, May-June.
- Kim, Jae H., 2006. "Wild bootstrapping variance ratio tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 38-43, July.
- Camilo GOnzález & Luisa Silva & Carmiña Vargas & Andrés Velasco, 2013. "Uncertainty in the Money supply mechanism and interbank markets in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 790, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Lazăr, Dorina & Todea, Alexandru & Filip, Diana, 2012. "Martingale difference hypothesis and financial crisis: Empirical evidence from European emerging foreign exchange markets," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 338-350.
- Amélie Charles & Olivier Darné & Jae H. Kim & Etienne Redor, 2014. "Stock Exchange Mergers and Market Efficiency," Working Papers hal-00940105, HAL.
- Charles, Amélie & Darné, Olivier & Kim, Jae H., 2012.
"Exchange-rate return predictability and the adaptive markets hypothesis: Evidence from major foreign exchange rates,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1607-1626.
- Amélie Charles & Olivier Darné & Jae H. Kim, 2010. "Exchange-Rate Return Predictability and the Adaptive Markets Hypothesis: Evidence from Major Foreign Exchange Rates," Working Papers hal-00547722, HAL.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Sainan Jin, 2013. "Testing the Martingale Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1912, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Todea, Alexandru & Pleşoianu, Anita, 2013. "The influence of foreign portfolio investment on informational efficiency: Empirical evidence from Central and Eastern European stock markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 34-41.
- Camilo González & Luisa F. Silva & Carmiña O. Vargas & Andrés M. Velasco, 2013. "An exploration on interbank markets and the operational framework of monetary policy in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 782, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Alexandru Todea & Dorina Lazar, 2012. "Global Crisis and Relative Efficiency: Empirical Evidence from Central and Eastern European Stock Markets," The Review of Finance and Banking, Academia de Studii Economice din Bucuresti, Romania / Facultatea de Finante, Asigurari, Banci si Burse de Valori / Catedra de Finante, vol. 4(1), pages 045-053, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Scoglio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.