Decomposing Exchange Rate Volatility Around the Pacific Rim
AbstractVolatility in exchange rates is decomposed into components associated with domestic and international concerns for six Pacific Rim currencies. A latent factor model is used to model bilateral exchange rate changes as the weighted sum of three factors; two factors are uniquely associated with each of the currencies involved in the exchange rates and the other represents world shocks common to all exchange rates.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, La Trobe University in its series Working Papers with number 1999.12.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Exchange Rate; Volatility; Economics;
Other versions of this item:
- Dungey, M. H., 1999. "Decomposing exchange rate volatility around the Pacific Rim," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 525-535.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kenneth W. Clements & Renee Fry, 2006.
"Commodity Currencies and Currency Commodities,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
06-17, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Renee Fry & Vance Martin & Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo & Mardi Dungey, 2002. "International Contagion Effects from the Russian Crisis and the LTCM Near-Collapse," IMF Working Papers 02/74, International Monetary Fund.
- Dungey, Mardi, 2004. "Identifying terms of trade effects in real exchange rate movements: evidence from Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 217-235, April.
- Mardi Dungey & Vance L Martin & Adrian R Pagan, 2000. "A multivariate latent factor decomposition of international bond yield spreads," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 697-715.
- Shakila Aruman, 2003. "The Effectiveness of Foreign Exchange Intervention in Australia: A Factor Model Approach with GARCH Specifications," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 135, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Angelo Polydoro, 2005. "Contagion in Latin America," Macroeconomics 0503008, EconWPA.
- Hawkesby, Christian & Marsh, Ian W. & Stevens, Ibrahim, 2007. "Comovements in the equity prices of large complex financial institutions," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 391-411, March.
- Christian Hawkesby & Ian W Marsh & Ibrahim Stevens, 2005. "Comovements in the prices of securities issued by large complex financial institutions," Bank of England working papers 256, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Scoglio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.