Two Comments on the Industrial Organisation of Vertically Related Markets
AbstractThis paper first studies the determination of final consumer price when two successive monopolists bargain over the intermediate goods price. Unlike the conventional double marginalisation result which rests on the (implicit) assumption that the upstream firm has all the bargaining power, it is shown that, as the bargaining power shifts from downstream firm to upstream firm, the equilibrium quantity (price) decreases (increases) continuously from the vertically integrated outcome to the conventional double marginalization outcome. This paper next studies the determination of retail and wholesale prices in successive Cournot oligopolies and generalizes the results of Bresnahan and Reiss (1985) on the ratio of retail to wholesale margins in successive monopolies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, La Trobe University in its series Working Papers with number 1998.03.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gamal Atallah, 2000.
"Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Gamal Atallah, 2002. "Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 179-209.
- ATALLAH, Gamal, 2000. "Vertical R&D Sprillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Cahiers de recherche 2000-16, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Atallah, G., 2000. "Vertical R&D Sprillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Cahiers de recherche 2000-16, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Gamal Atallah, 2000. "Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, And Innovation," Industrial Organization 0004009, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Scoglio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.