Minimax Estimation of Linear Combinations of Restricted Location Parameters
AbstractThe estimation of a linear combination of several restricted location parameters is addressed from a decision-theoretic point of view. A bench-mark estimator of the linear combination is an unbiased estimator, which is minimax, but inadmissible relative to the mean squared error. An interesting issue is what is a prior distribution which results in the generalized Bayes and minimax estimator. Although it seems plausible that the generalized Bayes estimator against the uniform prior over the restricted space should be minimax, it is shown to be not minimax when the number of the location parameters, k, is more than or equal to three, while it is minimax for k = 1. In the case of k = 2, a necessary and sufficient condition for the minimaxity is given, namely, the minimaxity depends on signs of coefficients of the linear combination. When the underlying distributions are normal, we can obtain a prior distribution which results in the generalized Bayes estimator satisfying minimaxity and admissibility. Finally, it is demonstrated that the estimation of ratio of normal variances converges to the estimation of difference of the normal positive means, which gives a motivation of the issue studied here.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-723.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-04-17 (Econometrics)
- NEP-MIC-2010-04-17 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karlin, Samuel & Rinott, Yosef, 1980. "Classes of orderings of measures and related correlation inequalities. I. Multivariate totally positive distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 467-498, December.
- Tatsuya Kubokawa, 1994. "Double shrinkage estimation of ratio of scale parameters," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 95-116, March.
- Andrew Rukhin, 1992. "Asymptotic risk behavior of mean vector and variance estimators and the problem of positive normal mean," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 299-311, June.
- Hartigan, J. A., 2004. "Uniform priors on convex sets improve risk," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 285-288, May.
- Éric Marchand & William Strawderman, 2005. "Improving on the minimum risk equivariant estimator of a location parameter which is constrained to an interval or a half-interval," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 129-143, March.
- Tatsuya Kubokawa, 2004. "Minimaxity in Estimation of Restricted Parameters," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-270, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Tsukuma, Hisayuki & Kubokawa, Tatsuya, 2008. "Stein's phenomenon in estimation of means restricted to a polyhedral convex cone," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 141-164, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.