Forecasting Realized Volatility with Linear and Nonlinear Models
AbstractIn this paper we consider a nonlinear model based on neural networks as well as linear models to forecast the daily volatility of the S&P 500 and FTSE 100 indexes. As a proxy for daily volatility, we consider a consistent and unbiased estimator of the integrated volatility that is computed from high frequency intra-day returns. We also consider a simple algorithm based on bagging (bootstrap aggregation) in order to specify the models analyzed in the paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-686.
Date of creation: Oct 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- McAleer, M.J. & Medeiros, M.C., 2009. "Forecasting Realized Volatility with Linear and Nonlinear Models," Econometric Institute Report EI 2009-37, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Michael McAleer & Marcelo Cunha Medeiros, 2010. "Forecasting Realized Volatility with Linear and Nonlinear Models," Textos para discussÃ£o 568, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Michael McAleer & Marcelo C. Medeiros, 2009. "Forecasting Realized Volatility with Linear and Nonlinear Models," CARF F-Series CARF-F-189, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2009-11-27 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ECM-2009-11-27 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-11-27 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2009-11-27 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MST-2009-11-27 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muller, Ulrich A. & Dacorogna, Michel M. & Dave, Rakhal D. & Olsen, Richard B. & Pictet, Olivier V. & von Weizsacker, Jacob E., 1997. "Volatilities of different time resolutions -- Analyzing the dynamics of market components," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 213-239, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.