Bayesian Estimation of Demand Functions under Block Rate Pricing
AbstractThis article proposes a Bayesian estimation method of the demand function under block rate pricing, mainly focusing on increasing block rat epricing. Block rate pricing is often observed in public sectors, such as water and electricity. Under this price structure, price changes when consumption exceeds a certain threshold, and the demand function is subject to a piece wise-linear budget constraint. We apply a discrete/continuous choice model to analyze household behavior with such a price system and take a hierarchical Bayesian approach to estimate its demand function. Moreover, a separability condition is additionally considered to obtain proper estimates. The model is extended to allow random coefficients for panel data and spatial correlation to account for consumer heterogeneity of spatial data. The proposed method is applied to estimate the Japanese residential water demand function under increasing block rate pricing.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-424.
Date of creation: May 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Koji, Miyawaki & Yasuhiro Omori & Akira Hibiki, 2010. "Bayesian Estimation of Demand Functions under Block-Rate Pricing," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-712, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Koji Miyawaki & Yasuhiro Omori & Akira Hibiki, 2009. "Bayesian Estimation of Demand Functions under Block Rate Pricing," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-631, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Koji Miyawaki & Yasuihro Omori & Akira Hibiki, 2008. "Bayesian Estimation of Demand Functions under Block Rate Pricing," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-568, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2006-05-20 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ECM-2006-05-20 (Econometrics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Henrique Monteiro, 2010. "Residential Water Demand in Portugal: checking for efficiency-based justifications for increasing block tariffs," Working Papers Series 1 ercwp0110, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.