Choice of Air Cargo Transshipment Airport: An Application to Air Cargo Traffic to/from Northeast Asia
AbstractBased on a unique data set of 760 air cargo transshipment routings to/from the Northeast Asian region in 2000, this paper applies an aggregate form of multinomial logit model to identify the critical factors influencing air cargo transshipment route choice decisions. The analysis focuses on the trade-off between monetary cost and time cost while considering other variables relevant for choice of transshipment airport. The estimation method considers the presence of unobserved attributes, and corrects for resulting endogeneity via a two-stage least squares estimation using instrumental variables. Our empirical results show that choice of air cargo transshipment hub is more sensitive to time cost than the monetary costs such as landing fees and line-haul price. For example, our simulation results suggest that a one-hour reduction in total transport and processing time for a particular O-D air cargo traffic would be more effective than a US$1,000 reduction in airport charges. This suggests that it is important to reduce air cargo connecting time at an airport via adequate investment in capacity and automation even by increasing landing and other airport charges.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-291.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Ohashi, Hiroshi & Kim, Tae-Seung & Oum, Tae Hoon & Yu, Chunyan, 2005. "Choice of air cargo transshipment airport: an application to air cargo traffic to/from Northeast Asia," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 149-159.
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2004-08-09 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-SEA-2004-08-09 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cullinane, Kevin & Toy, Neal, 2000. "Identifying influential attributes in freight route/mode choice decisions: a content analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 41-53, March.
- Malchow, Matthew B. & Kanafani, Adib, 2004. "A disaggregate analysis of port selection," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 317-337, July.
- Mori, Tomoya & Nishikimi, Koji, 2002. "Economies of transport density and industrial agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 167-200, March.
- Douglas, George W & Miller, James C, III, 1974. "Quality Competition, Industry Equilibrium, and Efficiency in the Price-Constrained Airline Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 657-69, September.
- Steven T. Berry, 1994. "Estimating Discrete-Choice Models of Product Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 242-262, Summer.
- Bianka Dettmer & Andreas Freytag & Peter Draper, 2013. "Check-in, departure and arrival times: Air cargo in Southern Africa?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2013-018, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Yeo, Gi-Tae & Wang, Ying & Chou, Chien-Chang, 2013. "Evaluating the competitiveness of the aerotropolises in East Asia," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 24-31.
- Siew Yean Tham, 2010. "ASEAN Open Skies and the Implications for Airport Development Strategy in Malaysia," Working Papers id:3093, eSocialSciences.
- Kim, Joong Yup & Park, Yonghwa, 2012. "Connectivity analysis of transshipments at a cargo hub airport," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 12-15.
- Chao, Ching-Cheng & Yu, Po-Cheng, 2013. "Quantitative evaluation model of air cargo competitiveness and comparative analysis of major Asia-Pacific airports," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 318-326.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.