Convergence or Divergence - The Impact of Technology
AbstractThis paper presents an overview and assessment of the theoretical and empirical work on catch-up and growth, with particular emphasis on the impact of technology, and the consequences for developing countries. The point of departure is the neoclassical theory of economic growth, as laid out by Solow and other in the 1950s, and the applied work that followed ("growth accounting"). Then the contributions from economic historians and more heterodox economists, such as Schumpeter, Kaldor and others, are discussed, followed by an account of the most recent theoretical developments in this area ("new growth theory"). Finally an assessment is made of the lessons from the recent surge in empirical (econometric) work in this area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo in its series Working Papers Archives with number 1995524.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Jan 1995
Date of revision:
Note: Originally published as NUPI working paper no.524, January 1995
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postboks 1108 Blindern N-0317 Oslo
Phone: 22 84 16 00
Fax: : 22 84 16 01
Web page: http://www.tik.uio.no/Innovation
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1995. "Convergence or Divergence? The Impact of Technology on "Why Growth Rates Differ."," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 269-84, September.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1998.
"Is dualism still a source of convergence in Europe?,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa98p462, European Regional Science Association.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1999. "Is dualism still a source of convergence in Europe?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1423-1436.
- R. Paci & F. Pigliaru, 1997. "Is dualism still a source of convergence in Europe?," Working Paper CRENoS 199705, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Döring, Thomas & Schnellenbach, Jan, 2004.
"What Do We Know About Geographical Knowledge Spillovers and Regional Growth? A Survey of the Literature,"
14, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Thomas Doring & Jan Schnellenbach, 2006. "What do we know about geographical knowledge spillovers and regional growth?: A survey of the literature," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 375-395.
- Klaus Gugler & Michael Pfaffermayr, .
"Convergence in Structure and Productivity in European Manufacturing?,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Klaus Gugler & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2004. "Convergence in Structure and Productivity in European Manufacturing?," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(1), pages 61-79, 02.
- Amavilah, Voxi Heinrich, 2007. "The effects of technology-as-knowledge on the economic performance of developing countries: An econometric analysis using annual publications data for Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa, 1976-2004," MPRA Paper 3482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Cimoli, 1998. "National System of Innovation: A Note on Technological Asymmetries and Catching-Up Perspectives," Working Papers ir98030, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Rensman, Marieke, 1996. "Economic growth and technological change in the long run : a survey of theoretical and empirical literature," Research Report 96C10, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Mario, Cimoli, 2005.
"Heterogeneidad estructural, asimetrías tecnológicas y crecimiento en América Latina
[Structural heterogeneity, technological asymmetries and growth in Latin America]," MPRA Paper 3832, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paci, Raffaele & Pigliaru, Francesco, 1997. "Structural change and convergence: an Italian regional perspective," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 297-318, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (H&kon Normann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.