The technical-industrial research institutes in the Norwegian innovation system
AbstractThis paper analyses the role of technical-industrial research institutes for industrial innovation in Norway. Using statistical data and a survey among firms, the paper shows that there are many different types of interaction between institutes and firms. In addition to R&D and technical services, the institutes are a significant source of skilled manpower for firms. We highlight three central roles for the institutes: they are a learning partner for industry, they help increase absorptive capacity, and they constitute a flexible repository in the innovation system by helping firms in peak periods and by reducing the pressure on universities through assisting in teaching and supervision.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo in its series Working Papers on Innovation Studies with number 20070614.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2007-08-18 (European Economics)
- NEP-INO-2007-08-18 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2007-08-18 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-MIC-2007-08-18 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-TID-2007-08-18 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Larédo, 2003. "Six major challenges facing public intervention in higher education, science, technology and innovation," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(1), pages 4-12, February.
- Lars Nerdrum & Bo Sarpebakken, 2006. "Mobility of foreign researchers in Norway," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(3), pages 217-229, April.
- Etzkowitz, Henry & Leydesdorff, Loet, 2000. "The dynamics of innovation: from National Systems and "Mode 2" to a Triple Helix of university-industry-government relations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 109-123, February.
- Magnus Gulbrandsen & Lars Nerdrum, 2007. "University-industry relations in Norway," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20070613, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Mowery, David C & Verspagen, Bart, 2009.
"The evolution of Norway’s national innovation system,"
19330, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jan Fagerberg & David C Mowery & Bart Verspagen, 2009. "The evolution of Norway's national innovation system," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(6), pages 431-444, July.
- Olav Wicken, 2007. "The Layers of National Innovation Systems: The Historical Evolution of a National Innovation System in Norway," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20070601, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Magnus Gulbrandsen & Lars Nerdrum, 2007. "Public sector research and industrial innovation in Norway: a historical perspective," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20070602, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Magnus Gulbrandsen, 2011. "Research institutes as hybrid organizations: central challenges to their legitimacy," Policy Sciences, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 215-230, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (H&kon Normann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.