Innovation and production in the Norwegian aluminium industry
AbstractThe innovation and production system of the Norwegian primary aluminium industry has changed during the last 100 years. In the first phase from 1908-1945, the locus of innovation resided first and foremost abroad. In the second phase (1945-1986) the Norwegian aluminium industry gradually created a more autonomous path regarding innovation and production. The Norwegian Government created supporting institutions, and in combination company strategies, this laid foundations for the National champions Hydro and Elektrokjemisk to enter. The third phase (1986- ) is first and foremost associated with the creation of Norwegian vertically integrated aluminium companies and horizontal expansion marked by the merger of ÅSV and Norsk Hydro (1986).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo in its series Working Papers on Innovation Studies with number 20070604.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2007-07-07 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-HIS-2007-07-07 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-INO-2007-07-07 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2007-07-07 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2007-07-07 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olav Wicken, 2007. "The Layers of National Innovation Systems: The Historical Evolution of a National Innovation System in Norway," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20070601, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Smith,George David, 1988. "From Monopoly to Competition," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521352611, October.
- Fulvio Castellacci, 2007.
"Innovation in Norway in a European Perspective,"
Working Papers on Innovation Studies
20070609, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Malerba, Franco, 2002. "Sectoral systems of innovation and production," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 247-264, February.
- Tommy Clausen & Svein Olav Nås & Bart Verspagen, 2007. "Norwegian Innovation and Industrial Structure: Insiders and Outsiders?," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20070610, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (H&kon Normann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.