Chartbook of Economic Inequality: 25 Countries 1911-2010
AbstractThe purpose of this Chartbook is to present a summary of evidence about changes in economic inequality - primarily income, earnings, and wealth - for 25 countries covering a 100 year period from 1911 to 2010. There is a range of countries and they account for more than a third of the world's population: Argentina, Brazil, Australia, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK and the US. The results are presented in 25 charts, one for each country, together with a description of the sources. The underlying figures are available upon request as a set of Excel tables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for New Economic Thinking (INET) in its series INET Research Notes with number 15.
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldin, Claudia & Margo, Robert A, 1992.
"The Great Compression: The Wage Structure in the United States at Mid-century,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(1), pages 1-34, February.
- Claudia Goldin & Robert A. Margo, 1991. "The Great Compression: The Wage Structure in the United States at Mid- Century," NBER Working Papers 3817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atkinson, A B, 2008. "The Changing Distribution of Earnings in OECD Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199532438.
- Wesley C. Mitchell & Willford I. King & Frederick R. Macaulay & Oswald W. Knauth, 1921. "Income in the United States: Its Amount and Distribution, 1909-1919, Volume 1: Summary," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number mitc21-1, September.
- Kopczuk, Wojciech & Saez, Emmanuel, 2004.
"Top Wealth Shares in the United States, 1916-2000: Evidence from Estate Tax Returns,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 57(2), pages 445-87, June Cita.
- Wojciech Kopczuk & Emmanuel Saez, 2004. "Top Wealth Shares in the United States: 1916-2000: Evidence from Estate Tax Returns," NBER Working Papers 10399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2003. "Income Inequality In The United States, 1913-1998," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 1-39, February.
- Anthony B. Atkinson, 2012. "The Mirrlees Review and the State of Public Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 50(3), pages 770-80, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enno Schröder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.