Teaching Macroeconomics with Gams
AbstractOur general goal in this paper is to show how to implement in GAMS standard deterministic nonlinear macro models, and stochastic linear macro models with rational expectations. We will also present basic concepts on solution methods and policy analysis for these kinds of models. As a practical illustration, we will use some well known teaching and experimental models in the macroeconomic literature. Citation Copyright 1998 by Kluwer Academic Publishers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Texas at Austin, Center for Applied Research in Economics in its series CARE Working Papers with number 9702.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Jun 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Austin, Texas 78712
Phone: +1 (512) 471-3211
Fax: +1 (512) 471-3510
Web page: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Macroeconomics; learning; stochastic optimization; numerical experiments;
Other versions of this item:
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kahn, Charles M, 1980. "The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1305-11, July.
- Nicholas Carlozzi & John B. Taylor, 1986. "International Capital Mobility and the Coordination of Monetary Rules," NBER Working Papers 1242, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans M. Amman & David A. Kendrick, 1996. "The DUALI/DUALPC Software for Optimal Control Models: Introduction," CARE Working Papers 9602, The University of Texas at Austin, Center for Applied Research in Economics.
- Taylor, John B, 1979. "Estimation and Control of a Macroeconomic Model with Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1267-86, September.
- R. Barrell & R. Anderton & G.M. Caporale & J.W. in't Veld, 1993. "The World Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 145(1), pages 43-63, August.
- P. Ruben Mercado & David A. Kendrick, 1997. "HTGAMS: Hall and Taylor's Model in GAMS," CARE Working Papers 9704, The University of Texas at Austin, Center for Applied Research in Economics.
- Taylor, John B., 1985.
"International coordination in the design of macroeconomic policy rules,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 53-81.
- John B. Taylor, 1985. "International Coordination in the Design of Macroeconomic Policy Rules," NBER Working Papers 1506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wallis, Kenneth F, 1980. "Econometric Implications of the Rational Expectations Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 49-73, January.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- David A. Kendrick, 2006.
"Teaching Computational Economics to Graduate Students,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
36, Society for Computational Economics.
- David Kendrick, 2007. "Teaching Computational Economics to Graduate Students," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 381-391, November.
- David Kendrick & P. Mercado & Hans Amman, 2006.
"Computational Economics: Help for the Underestimated Undergraduate,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 261-271, May.
- P. Ruben Mercado & David A. Kendrick, 2004. "Computational Economics: Help for the Underestimated Undergraduate," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 71, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hans Amman & David Kendrick & Ruben Mercado, 2004. "Computational Economics: Help for the Underestimated Undergraduate," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 347, Society for Computational Economics.
- P. Ruben Mercado, 2001. "Macroeconomic Volatility during Argentina's Import Substitution Stage," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 151-161.
- Kendrick, David A., 2005. "Stochastic control for economic models: past, present and the paths ahead," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 3-30, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Thomas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.