The Effects Of Fiscal And Monetary Discipline On Budgetary Outcomes
AbstractThis paper extends the game-theoretic model of Von Hagen and Harden (1995) that analyzes the impact of fiscal discipline on budgetary outcomes.It analyzes the effects on budgetary outcomes of both fiscal and monetary discipline, which are evaluated with respect to the relevant institutional rules. The model predicts that while both inflation and budget deficits are negatively associated with fiscal discipline, they may be positively associated with monetary discipline, proxied by central bank independence. This result obtains due to optimizing agents who internalize the burden of spending: inflation. Although not conclusive due to data limitations, the empirical findings of the paper support these predictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Turkish Economic Association in its series Working Papers with number 2003/1.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Budget Deficits; Central Bank Independence; Fiscal Discipline; Inflation;
Other versions of this item:
- Bilin Neyapti & Secil Ozgur, 2007. "The Effects Of Fiscal And Monetary Discipline On Budgetary Outcomes," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(2), pages 146-155, 04.
- D73 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Bureaucracy; Administrative Processes in Public Organizations; Corruption
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- H61 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Budget; Budget Systems
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ozkan, F Gulcin & Sibert, Anne & Sutherland, Alan, 1997.
"Monetary Union, Entry Conditions and Economic Reform,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1720, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F. Gulcin Ozkan & Anne Sibert & Alan Sutherland, . "Monetary Union, Entry Conditions and Economic Reform," Discussion Papers 97/15, Department of Economics, University of York.
- F. Gulcin Ozkan & Anne Sibert & Alan Sutherland, . "Monetary Union, Entry Conditions and Economic Reform," EPRU Working Paper Series 00-03, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Cukierman, Alex & Lippi, Francesco, 1999.
"Central bank independence, centralization of wage bargaining, inflation and unemployment:: Theory and some evidence,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1395-1434, June.
- Cukierman, A. & Lippi, F., 1998. "Central Bank Independence, Centralization of Wage Bargaining, Inflation and Unemployment - Theory and Some Evidence," Discussion Paper 1998-116, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Eijffinger, S. & De Hann, J., 1995.
"The Political Economy of Central Bank Independence,"
9587, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Eijffinger, S-C-W & de Haan, J, 1996. "The Political Economy of Central-Bank Independence," Princeton Studies in International Economics 19, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Waller, Christopher J & Walsh, Carl E, 1996. "Central-Bank Independence, Economic Behavior, and Optimal Term Lengths," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1139-53, December.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Hausmann, Ricardo, 2000.
"The impact of inflation on budgetary discipline,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 425-449, December.
- Beetsma, Roel & Uhlig, Harald, 1999. "An Analysis of the Stability and Growth Pact," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(458), pages 546-71, October.
- International Monetary Fund, 1996.
"Budget Processes and Commitment to Fiscal Discipline,"
IMF Working Papers
96/78, International Monetary Fund.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Harden, Ian J., 1995. "Budget processes and commitment to fiscal discipline," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 771-779, April.
- Alesina, Alberto & Gatti, Roberta, 1995. "Independent Central Banks: Low Inflation at No Cost?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 196-200, May.
- Alesina, Alberto & Summers, Lawrence H, 1993. "Central Bank Independence and Macroeconomic Performance: Some Comparative Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 151-62, May.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B & Neyapti, Bilin, 1992. "Measuring the Independence of Central Banks and Its Effect on Policy Outcomes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 353-98, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ercan Uygur).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.