National Museums: To Charge or not to charge?
AbstractThis paper looks at the arguments for and against admission charges to national museums and provides some new evidence relating to the effects of charges. This debate is set in the context of the policy objective of access: the vast majority of the population do not attend national museums and evidence on this and on the socio-economic composition of those who do attend is presented for Ireland.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics in its series Economics Policy Papers with number 952.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H40 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Volker Kirchberg, 1998. "Entrance Fees as a Subjective Barrier to Visiting Museums," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Juan Prieto-Rodriguez & Victor Fernandez-Blanco, 2003.
"Optimal Pricing And Grant Policies For Museums,"
- Bruno S. Frey & Stephan Meier, .
"The Economics of Museums,"
IEW - Working Papers
149, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bruno Frey, 1998. "Superstar Museums: An Economic Analysis," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 113-125, June.
- Marine Le Gall-Ely & Caroline Urbain & Anne Gombault & Dominique Bourgeon & Christine Petr, 2007. "Une étude exploratoire des représentations de la gratuité et de ses effets sur le comportement des publics des musées et des monuments," Post-Print hal-00522834, HAL.
- William Luksetich & Mark Partridge, 1997. "Demand functions for museum services," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(12), pages 1553-1559.
- David Maddison, 2004. "Causality and Museum Subsidies," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 89-108, May.
- Théorie économique des musées in Wikipedia (French)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.