Small sample power of tests of normality when the alternative is an alpha-stable distribution
AbstractThis paper is a Monte-Carlo study of the small sample power of six tests of a normality hypotheses when the alternative is an alpha-stable distribution with param- eter values similar to those estimated for monthly total returns on equity indices. In these circumstances a sample size of 2oo is required to detect departures from normality. In most cases only small samples of consistent monthly data on such to- tal returns are available and these are not sufficient to differentiate between normal and alpha-stable distributions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics in its series Trinity Economics Papers with number tep0207.
Length: 51 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- C46 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Specific Distributions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafal Weron, 1996.
"Correction to: "On the Chambers-Mallows-Stuck Method for Simulating Skewed Stable Random Variables","
HSC Research Reports
HSC/96/01, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Weron, Rafal, 1996. "Correction to: "On the Chambers–Mallows–Stuck Method for Simulating Skewed Stable Random Variables"," MPRA Paper 20761, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Aleksander Janicki & Aleksander Weron, 1994. "Simulation and Chaotic Behavior of Alpha-stable Stochastic Processes," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook9401.
- Weron, Rafal, 1996. "On the Chambers-Mallows-Stuck method for simulating skewed stable random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 165-171, June.
- Greg Hannsgen, 2011. "Infinite-variance, Alpha-stable Shocks in Monetary SVAR: Final Working Paper Version," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_682, Levy Economics Institute, The.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.