The International Community and the CIS-7
AbstractThe international community has sought to assist the development efforts of the CIS-7 countries since the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s. The international financial institutions have played a leading role in these efforts. Despite considerable engagement with the govenments of these countries, overall progress has been disappointing. In this paper, we review the contribution of the international community to the transition challenge facing the CIS-7 countries and assess whether a change in strategy is warrented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics in its series Trinity Economics Papers with number 20033.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Philip R. Lane, 2003. "The International Community and the CIS-7," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp04, IIIS.
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Falcetti, Elisabetta & Raiser, Martin & Sanfey, Peter, 2002.
"Defying the Odds: Initial Conditions, Reforms, and Growth in the First Decade of Transition,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 229-250, June.
- Elisabetta Falcetti & Martin Raiser & Peter Sanfey, 2000. "Defying the odds: initial conditions, reforms and growth in the first decade of transition," Working Papers 55, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Casella, Alessandra & Eichengreen, Barry, 1994.
"Can Foreign Aid Accelerate Stabilization?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
961, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gallup, J.L. & Sachs, J.D. & Mullinger, A., 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," Papers 1, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Zecchini Salvatore, 1995. "The Role of International Financial Institutions in the Transition Process," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 116-138, February.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, 2002. "Resolving the Debt Crisis of Low-Income Countries," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 33(1), pages 257-286.
- Devesh Kapur, 2002. "Do as I Say Not as I Do: A Critique of G-7 Proposals on Reforming the MDBs," Working Papers 16, Center for Global Development.
- Mukand, Sharun W. & Rodrik, Dani, 2002.
"In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation and Economic Performance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3525, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sharun W. Mukand & Dani Rodrik, 2005. "In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation, and Economic Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 374-383, March.
- Mukand, Sharun & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation and Economic Performance," Working Paper Series rwp02-027, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Sharun Mukand & Dani Rodrik, 2002. "In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation, and Economic Performance," NBER Working Papers 9134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ariel Buira, 2002. "An Analysis of IMF Conditionality," Economics Series Working Papers 104, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 1998.
"The Uzbek Growth Puzzle,"
IMF Working Papers
98/133, International Monetary Fund.
- Jeffrey Sachs, 1995. "Reforms in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union in Light of the East Asian Experiences," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0039, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Philip R. Lane & Aaron Tornell, 1999. "The Voracity Effect," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 22-46, March.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Mellinger, 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," CID Working Papers 1, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Sachs Jeffrey, 1995. "Reforms in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union in Light of the East Asian Experience," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 454-485, December.
- Colier, Paul, 1999. "On the Economic Consequences of Civil War," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 168-83, January.
- Richard Pomfret, 2002. "The IMF and the Ruble Zone," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(4), pages 37-47, December.
- Richard Pomfret, 2006.
"Coordinating Aid for Regional Cooperation Projects: The Experience of Central Asia,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Pomfret, Richard, 2007. "Coordinating Aid for Regional Cooperation Projects: The Experience of Central Asia," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.