The duration of fixed exchange rate regimes
AbstractThis paper studies the survival of fixed exchange rate regimes. The probability of an exit from a fixed exchange rate regime depends on the time spent within this regime. In such a context durations models are appropriate, in particular because of the possible non-monotonic pattern of duration dependence. Non-parametric estimates show that the pattern of duration dependence exhibits non-monotonic behaviour and that it differs across types of economies. This behaviour persists when we control for time-varying covariates in a proportional hazard specification. We conclude that how long a regime has lasted will affect the probability that it will end, in a non-monotonic fashion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics in its series Trinity Economics Papers with number 2000518.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Sébastien Wälti, 2005. "The duration of fixed exchange rate regimes," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp96, IIIS.
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2005-11-05 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2005-11-05 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2005-11-05 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:rus:hseeco:181565 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Levine, R., 2000.
"A new database on financial development and structure,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125518, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1999. "A new database on financial development and structure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2146, The World Bank.
- Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 1997.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
IMF Working Papers
97/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997. "Leading indicators of currency crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1852, The World Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," MPRA Paper 6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francisco Perez-Bermejo & Simon Sosvilla-Rivero & Reyes Maroto-Illera, 2007.
"An eclectic approach to currency crises: drawing lessons from the EMS experience,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(6), pages 503-519.
- Reyes Maroto Illera & Francisco Pérez Bermejo & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, . "An Eclectic Approach to Currency Crises: Drawing Lessons from the EMS Experience," Working Papers 2002-22, FEDEA.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004.
"The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48, February.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," NBER Working Papers 8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004. "The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation," MPRA Paper 14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M M Tudela, 2001.
"Explaining Currency Crises: A Duration Model Approach,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0487, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Tudela, Merxe, 2004. "Explaining currency crises: a duration model approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 799-816, September.
- Enrica Detragiache & Eisuke Okada & Ashoka Mody, 2005. "Exits from Heavily Managed Exchange Rate Regimes," IMF Working Papers 05/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Masson & Francisco J. Ruge-Murcia, 2005.
"Explaining the Transition between Exchange Rate Regimes,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(2), pages 261-278, 06.
- MASSON, Paul & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2003. "Explaining the Transition Between Exchange Rate Regimes," Cahiers de recherche 2003-21, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- MASSON, Paul & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2003. "Explaining the Transition Between Exchange Rate Regimes," Cahiers de recherche 15-2003, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Srinivasan, T N, 1994. "Human Development: A New Paradigm or Reinvention of the Wheel?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 238-43, May.
- Inci Ã–tker & Rupa Duttagupta, 2003. "Exits From Pegged Regimes: An Empirical Analysis," IMF Working Papers 03/147, International Monetary Fund.
- Klein, Michael W. & Marion, Nancy P., 1997.
"Explaining the duration of exchange-rate pegs,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 387-404, December.
- Heather Xiaoquan Zhang, 2004. "The gathering storm: AIDS policy in China," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(8), pages 1155-1168.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2002.
"Fear Of Floating,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Streeten, Paul, 1994. "Human Development: Means and Ends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 232-37, May.
- Jay C. Shambaugh, 2004. "The Effect of Fixed Exchange Rates on Monetary Policy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 300-351, February.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico, 2005. "Classifying exchange rate regimes: Deeds vs. words," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1603-1635, August.
- Ahmet Asici & Charles Wyplosz, 2003.
"The Art of Gracefully Exiting a Peg,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 34(3), pages 211â228.
- Christopher M. Meissner, 2002. "A New World Order: Explaining the Emergence of the Classical Gold Standard," NBER Working Papers 9233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Husain, Aasim M. & Mody, Ashoka & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2005. "Exchange rate regime durability and performance in developing versus advanced economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 35-64, January.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Anne-Marie Gulde & Holger C. Wolf, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes: Choices and Consequences," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262072408, June.
- Ingrid Nielsen & Russell Smyth & Mingqiong Zhang, 2006. "Unemployment Within China's Floating Population: Empirical Evidence from Jiangsu Survey Data," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(4), pages 41-56, August.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Cook, Ian G. & Dummer, Trevor J. B., 2004. "Changing health in China: re-evaluating the epidemiological transition model," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 329-343, March.
- S. Brock Blomberg & Jeffry Frieden & Ernesto Stein, 2005. "Sustaining fixed rates: The political economy of currency pegs in Latin America," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 203-225, November.
- Wolf, Nikolaus, 2008.
"Scylla and Charybdis. Explaining Europe’s Exit from Gold, January 1928- December 1936,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6685, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wolf, Nikolaus, 2008. "Scylla and Charybdis. Explaining Europe's exit from gold, January 1928-December 1936," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 383-401, September.
- Nikolaus Wolf, 2008. "Scylla and Charybdis. Explaining Europe’s Exit from Gold, January 1928 – December 1936," CESifo Working Paper Series 2271, CESifo Group Munich.
- Buncic, Daniel & Martin, Melecky, 2011.
"Macroprudential stress testing of credit risk: A practical approach for policy makers,"
33927, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Buncic, Daniel & Melecky, Martin, 2012. "Macroprudential stress testing of credit risk : a practical approach for policy makers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5936, The World Bank.
- Buncic, Daniel & Melecky, Martin, 2011. "Macroprudential Stress Testing of Credit Risk: A Practical Approach for Policy Makers," Economics Working Paper Series 1139, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Carmignani, Fabrizio & Colombo, Emilio & Tirelli, Patrizio, 2008. "Exploring different views of exchange rate regime choice," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1177-1197, November.
- Yang Ni & Shasha Guo & David Giles, 2010.
"Capital structures in an emerging market: a duration analysis of the time interval between IPO and SEO in China,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(19), pages 1531-1545.
- Yang Ni & Shasha Guo & David E. Giles, 2009. "Capital Structures in an Emerging Market: A Duration Analysis of the Time Interval Between IPO and SEO in China," Econometrics Working Papers 0905, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.