Quality Growth versus Inflation in Turkey
AbstractWe estimate average quality growth and upward inflation bias for a set of 51 goods in Turkey by using 7 waves of Household Budget Survey from 2003 to 2009 and TURKSTAT prices. We employ instrumental variables approach introduced by Bils and Klenow (2001). We find that average quality growth in Turkey is 3.93 percent. Of this 3.93 percent, 2.28 percent is not netted out by TURKSTAT. Consequently, for the set of goods that we study, the estimated inflation bias is 2.28 percentage points.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey in its series Working Papers with number 1121.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr
More information through EDIRC
Quality bias; Inflation rates;
Other versions of this item:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2011-11-21 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CBA-2011-11-21 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CWA-2011-11-21 (Central & Western Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yavuz Arslan & Evren Ceritoglu, 2011.
"Kalite Artislari ve Enflasyon : Turkiye Ornegi,"
Central Bank Review,
Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 11(1), pages 1-9.
- Mustafa Kilinc & Cengiz Tunc, 2013. "Turkiye’de Goreli Konut Deflatoru," CBT Research Notes in Economics 1314, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gulhanim Kayatas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.