Filtering Short Term Fluctuations in Inflation Analysis
AbstractMany economic time series, specifically inflation, are inherently subject to seasonal fluctuations which obscure the real changes of the series. In this respect, seasonal adjustment is a powerful tool when removing such fluctuations. On the other hand, seasonal adjustment may provide highly volatile series, making it still difficult to interpret the movements of the series. The reason is that seasonal adjustment deals with certain type of movements that are completed on specific seasonal frequencies. However, it is possible that there may be other short term fluctuations occurring at non seasonal frequencies. From this observation and in the context of inflation, an improved methodology aiming to deal with all short term fluctuations that are completed within a year is proposed in this study. The two-step approach combines wavelet filters and band pass filters. This method yields much smoother time series than seasonal adjustment does. Moreover, the filtered series capture the dynamics of the inflation in sub groups well. Hence, this two-step procedure provides a useful tool for improved short term inflation analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey in its series Working Papers with number 1120.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr
More information through EDIRC
Consumer prices; inflation; seasonal adjustment; wavelet filter; band pass filter;
Other versions of this item:
- H. Çağrı AKKOYUN & Oğuz ATUK & N. Alpay KOÇAK & M. Utku ÖZMEN, 2012. "Filtering short term fluctuations in inflation analysis," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 27(319), pages 31-52.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-10-15 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ECM-2011-10-15 (Econometrics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-10-15 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huseyin Cagri Akkoyun & Bahar Sen Dogan & Mahmut Gunay, 2011. "Turkiye Ekonomisi Is Cevrimlerinin Kuresel Ekonomi ile Iliskisi," CBT Research Notes in Economics 1119, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gulhanim Kayatas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.