Fluctuations in the Swiss Franc: What has Changed Since the Euro's Introduction?
AbstractThe monetary implications arising from EMU for Swiss monetary policy show up primarily in the exchange rate. Until now, fluctuations in the Swiss franc against the euro have been surprisingly moderate. The Swiss franc has thus tracked the euro's decline against the US dollar without experiencing strong inflationary pressure and a convergence in the interest-rate differential: a paradoxical result for a small open economy. This paper examines critically whether the recent record reveals information about a change in SNB monetary policy. It also attemps to shed light on the SNB's ability to implement an independent monetary policy with the new landscape defined by EMU. Four hypotheses of euro tracking are considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee in its series Working Papers with number 02.03.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Studienzentrum Gerzensee, Postfach 21, 3115 Gerzensee
Phone: ++41 (0)31 780 31 31
Fax: ++41 (0)31 780 31 00
Web page: http://www.szgerzensee.ch/
Postal: Studienzentrum Gerzensee, Postfach 21, 3115 Gerzensee
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-08-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2002-08-19 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2002-08-19 (European Economics)
- NEP-IFN-2002-08-19 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G Alogoskoufis & R Portes & H Rey, 1998.
"The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0388, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 1998. "The emergence of the euro as an international currency," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 305-343, 04.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1998. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," NBER Working Papers 6424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alogoskoufis, G. & Portes, R. & Rey, H., 1997. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," DELTA Working Papers 97-28, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Alogoskoufis, George & Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1997. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," CEPR Discussion Papers 1741, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Georg Rich, 2000. "Switzerland and the euro," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(3), pages 309-311, September.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2000. "The mirage of floating exchange rates," MPRA Paper 13736, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Anne-Marie Gulde & Jonathan D. Ostry & Holger C. Wolf, 1997.
"Does the Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
5874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Anne-Marie Gulde & Jonathan D. Ostry & Holger C. Wolf, 1997. "Does The Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Matter?," Working Papers 97-09, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Anne Marie Gulde & Atish R. Ghosh & Holger C. Wolf, 1995. "Does the Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Matter?," IMF Working Papers 95/121, International Monetary Fund.
- Guy Meredith, 2001. "Why Has the Euro Been So Weak?," IMF Working Papers 01/155, International Monetary Fund.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000. "Mirage of Floating Exchange Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 65-70, May.
- Hau, Harald & Killeen, William & Moore, Michael J, 2000. "The Euro as an International Currency: Explaining Puzzling First Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2510, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rich, Georg, 1990. "Exchange-rate management under floating exchange rates : A skeptical Swiss view," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 993-1021, November.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002.
"Fear of floating,"
14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Bayoumi, Tamim, 1996.
"Ever Closer to Heaven? An Optimum-Currency-Area Index for European Countries,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series
qt5dt9501s, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Bayoumi, Tamim, 1996. "Ever Closer to Heaven? An Optimum-Currency-Area Index for European Countries," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5th597st, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1996. "Ever Closer to Heaven? An Optimum-Currency-Area Index for European Countries," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C96-078, University of California at Berkeley.
- Rich, Georg, 1997. "Monetary targets as a policy rule: Lessons from the Swiss experience," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 113-141, June.
- Cedric Tille & Nicolas Stoffels & Olga Gorbachev, 2001. "To what extent does productivity drive the dollar?," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Aug.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1992. "Filtering and forecasting with misspecified ARCH models I : Getting the right variance with the wrong model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 61-90.
- van Dijk, Dick, 2006.
"The Euro Introduction and Non-Euro Currencies,"
Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain
info:hdl:2078/119786, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Burkhard, Lukas & Fischer, Andreas M., 2009.
"Communicating policy options at the zero bound,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 742-754, September.
- Ciner, Cetin, 2011. "Information transmission across currency futures markets: Evidence from frequency domain tests," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 134-139, June.
- Marwan Elkhoury, 2005. "A Time-Varying Parameter Model of A Monetary Policy Rule for Switzerland. The Case of the Lucas and Friedman Hypothesis," IHEID Working Papers 01-2006, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Chang, Sanders S., 2011. "Carry trades, momentum trading and the forward premium anomaly," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 441-464, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (library).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.