A new condition for pooling states in multinomial logit
AbstractThe Cramer-Ridder test is a popular procedure for testing if some outcome states can be pooled into one state in the multinomial logit model. We show that, in the presence of binary regressors, the test is overly stringent and poolability may not be tested unambiguously.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, The University of New South Wales in its series Discussion Papers with number 2012-48.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Australian School of Business Building, Sydney 2052
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
multinomial logit; pooling; statistical test;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chalkley, Martin & McVicar, Duncan, 2008.
"Choice of contracts in the British National Health Service: An empirical study,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1155-1167, September.
- Chalkley, Martin, 2008. "Choice of Contracts in the British National Health Service: An Empirical Study," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-43, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Martin Chalkley & Duncan McVicar, 2007. "Choice of Contracts in the British National Health Service: An Empirical Study," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 216, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Cramer, J. S. & Ridder, G., 1991. "Pooling states in the multinomial logit model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 267-272, February.
- Diane M. Dancer & Denzil G. Fiebig, 2004. "Modelling Students at Risk," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 158-173, 06.
- Anh Ngoc Nguyen & Jim Taylor, 2003. "Post-high school choices: New evidence from a multinomial logit model," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 287-306, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Gratton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.