The capital structure of Hungarian firms
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the capital structure of Hungarian firms using a cross-section and a panel data approach. The data set constitutes of balance sheet data and information on market structure for 1100 firms from 1992 to 1996. We find evidence of forms of financial market imperfections, but also that banks are positively and actively involved in resolving the informational problems that are afflicting the credit market Keywords; transitional economies, Hungary, capital structure, panel data
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton in its series Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics with number 9903.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1999
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995.
" What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cornelli, F. & Portes, R. & Schaffer, M., 1996.
"The Capital Structure of Firms in Central and Eastern Europe,"
DELTA Working Papers
96-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Cornelli, Francesca & Portes, Richard & Schaffer, Mark E, 1996. "The Capital Structure of Firms in Central and Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1996. "Financial Constraints and Investment: Methodological Issues and International Evidence," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 70-89, Summer.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1993.
"Financial Market Imperfections and Business Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
2494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenwald, Bruce C & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1993. "Financial Market Imperfections and Business Cycles," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(1), pages 77-114, February.
- Michael Devereux & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1989.
"Investment, Finacial Factors and Cash Flow: Evidence From UK Panel Data,"
NBER Working Papers
3116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Devereux & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1990. "Investment, Financial Factors, and Cash Flow: Evidence from U.K. Panel Data," NBER Chapters, in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 279-306 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lubomir Lizal & Jan Svejnar, 1997.
"Enterprise Investment During the Transition: Evidence from Czech Panel Data,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
60, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Lizal, Lubomir & Svejnar, Jan, 1998. "Enterprise Investment During the Transition: Evidence from Czech Panel Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 1835, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berglöf, Erik & Roland, Gérard, 1995.
"Bank Restructuring and Soft Budget Constraints in Financial Transition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berglof Erik & Roland Gerard, 1995. "Bank Restructuring and Soft Budget Constraints in Financial Transition," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 354-375, December.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1989. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 14-31, March.
- E.C. Perotti & O. Carare, 1997.
"The Evolution of Bank Credit Quality in Transition: Theory and Evidence from Romania,"
CERT Discussion Papers
9702, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Enrico C. Perotti & Octavian Carare, 1996. "The Evolution of Bank Credit Qulity in Transition: Theory and Evidence from Romania," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 49, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Schaffer, Mark E., 1998. "Do Firms in Transition Economies Have Soft Budget Constraints? A Reconsideration of Concepts and Evidence," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 80-103, March.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Dimiter Rafailov, 2003. "Determinants of the capital structure of the Bulgarian firms," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 1, pages 47-65.
- Aktham Maghyereh, 2005. "Dynamic Capital Structure: Evidence From The Small Developing Country Of Jordan," IIUM Journal of Economics and Management, IIUM Journal of Economis and Management, vol. 13(1), pages 1-32, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.