The Urguay Round and trade in financial services in the Arab countries
AbstractThis paper attempts to shed some light on the problems and prospects of trade liberalization in financial services for selected Arab countries. The paper starts by considering the background of GATT and the case for trade liberalization. It then highlights the case of the Uruguay Round with emphasis on trade in services in general and trade in banking services in particular. The paper proceeds by investigating the issue of regulation and protection of services and considering the different kinds of barriers to trade in financial services. The paper also discusses financial liberalisation and the issue of appropriate sequencing. Subsequently, the paper compares the GATs with regional agreements with respect to trade in services. Finally, the paper displays the distinctive characteristics of the structure and regulation of the banking systems in the Arab countries as it discusses the cases of Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Tunisia and Morocco.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton in its series Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics with number 9617.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1996
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Mahmoud Mohieldin & Jackline Wahba, 1996. "The Uruguay Round and Trade in Financial Services in the Arab Countries," Working Papers 9635, Economic Research Forum, revised Nov 1996.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107.
- Roberto Golinelli & Renzo Orsi, 1994.
"Price-Wage Dynamics is A Transition Economy: The Case of Poland,"
192, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Orsi, Renzo, 1994. " Price-Wage Dynamics in a Transition Economy: The Case of Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 293-313.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992.
"Testing for parameter instability in linear models,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 517-533, August.
- Tom Doan, . "STABTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's stability test for OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00199, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Doornik, Jurgen A & Hendry, David F & Nielsen, Bent, 1998. " Inference in Cointegrating Models: UK M1 Revisited," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 533-72, December.
- Welfe, Aleksander, 1996. " The Price-Wage Inflationary Spiral in Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 33-50.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Roberto Golinelli & Renzo Orsi, .
"Exchange Rate, Inflation and Unemployment in East European Economies: the Case of Poland and Hungary,"
Ace Project Memoranda
96/11, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Orsi, Renzo, 1998. " Exchange Rate, Inflation and Unemployment in East European Economies: The Case of Poland and Hungary," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 29-55.
- Roberto Golinelli & Renzo Orsi, 1996. "Exchange rate Inflation and Unemployment in East European Economies: the Case of Poland and Hungary," Working Papers 265, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Welfe, Aleksander, 1991. " Modelling Wages in Centrally Planned Economies: The Case of Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 47-58.
- Johansen, S., 1991.
"Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend,"
76a, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 383-97, August.
- Christopher L. Erikson & Andrea Ichino, 1994.
"Wage Differentials in Italy: Market Forces, Institutions, and Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
4922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Erickson & Andrea Ichino, 1995. "Wage Differentials in Italy: Market Forces, Institutions, and Inflation," NBER Chapters, in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 265-306 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clements, Michael P. & Mizon, Grayham E., 1991. "Empirical analysis of macroeconomic time series : VAR and structural models," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 887-917, May.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:111:y::i:1:p:62-85 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paula Bongini, 2003.
"The EU Experience in Financial Services Liberalization: A Model for GATS Negotiations?,"
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2003/2 edited by Morten Balling, March.
- Paula Bongini, 2003. "The EU Experience in Financial Services Liberalization: A Model for GATS Negotiations?," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.