International trade and the incentive for merger
AbstractThis paper examines the profitability of horizontal merger in an open economy with Cournot competition. We find that duopoly is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for domestic merger to be profitable. A cross-border merger, however, can be profitable from any market structure. Keywords; merger, international trade, oligopoly
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton in its series Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics with number 79211.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rod Falvey, 1998. "Mergers in Open Economies," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(8), pages 1061-1076, November.
- GAUDET, Gérard & KANOUNI, Rams, 2001.
"Trade Liberalization and the Profitability of Domestic Mergers,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-28, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gérard Gaudet & Rams Kanouni, 2004. "Trade Liberalization and the Profitability of Domestic Mergers," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 353-358, 08.
- Gaudet, G. & Kanouni, R., 2001. "Trade Liberalization and the Profitability of Domestic Mergers," Cahiers de recherche 2001-28, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.