A retrospective on J.D. Sargan and his contribution to Econometrics
AbstractThis retrospective provides a biographical history of Denis Sargan's career and reviews his contributions to econometrics, emphasizing the breadth of his work in both theoretical and applied econometrics. We include a complete bibliography for Denis and a list of PhD theses that he supervised - students were a substantive facet of his profesional life. Finally, two of Denis' previously unpublished manuscripts on model building now appear in print. Keywords; dynamic specification, econometrics, error correction model, finite sample distributions, identification, instrumental variables, model building, numerical computation, prices, production function, specification searches, wages
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton in its series Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics with number 0108.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2001
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rothenberg, Thomas J, 1971. "Identification in Parametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(3), pages 577-91, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1978. "A Modified Stein-like Estimator for the Reduced Form Coefficients of Simultaneous Equations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 695-703, May.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1990.
"Efficient Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 809-37, July.
- Newey, W.K., 1989. "Efficient Instrumental Variables Estimation Of Nonlinear Models," Papers 341, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Hendry, David F., 1984. "Monte carlo experimentation in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 937-976 Elsevier.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1980. "A ridge-like method for simultaneous estimation of simultaneous equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 161-176, February.
- Ericsson, Neil R & Hendry, David F & Mizon, Grayham E, 1998.
"Exogeneity, Cointegration, and Economic Policy Analysis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(4), pages 370-87, October.
- Neil R. Ericsson & David F. Hendry & Grayham E. Mizon, 1998. "Exogeneity, cointegration, and economic policy analysis," International Finance Discussion Papers 616, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1975. "An Instrumental Variable Approach to Full Information Estimators for Linear and Certain Nonlinear Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(4), pages 727-38, July.
- Desai, Meghnad J & Hendry, David F & Mizon, Grayham E, 1997. "John Denis Sargan," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(443), pages 1121-25, July.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1982.
"Exact Small Sample Theory in the Simultaneous Equations Model,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
621, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1983. "Exact small sample theory in the simultaneous equations model," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 449-516 Elsevier.
- Mizon, Grayham E, 1977. "Inferential Procedures in Nonlinear Models: An Application in a UK Industrial Cross Section Study of Factor Substitution and Returns to Scale," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1221-42, July.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 1985. "Professor J. D. Sargan," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 119-139, April.
- Hendry, David F., 1976. "The structure of simultaneous equations estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 51-88, February.
- Hendry, David F. & Harrison, Robin W., 1974. "Monte Carlo methodology and the small sample behaviour of ordinary and two-stage least squares," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 151-174, July.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1986. "Reduced form estimation and prediction from uncertain structural models : A generic approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-29, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.