Bank competition, risk taking and productive efficiency: Evidence from Nigeria's banking reform experiments
AbstractWe propose a three-stage procedure for investigating the interrelationships among bank competition, risk taking and efficiency. The procedure is applied to Nigeria's banking reforms (1993-2008). Stage I measures bank productive efficiency, using Data Envelopment Analysis, and the evolution of bank competition, using Conjectural Variations (CV) methods. Stage II uses the CV estimates to test whether regulatory reforms influence bank competition. Stage III investigates the impact of the reforms and concomitant changes in competition on bank behaviour. The evidence suggests that deregulation and prudential re-regulation influence bank risk taking and bank productive efficiency directly (direct impact) and via their impact on competition (indirect impact). Further, it is found that as competition increases, excessive risk taking decreases and efficiency increases. Overall, the evidence affirms policies that foster bank competition, at least in the Nigerian context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Stirling, Division of Economics in its series Stirling Economics Discussion Papers with number 2009-23.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Division of Economics, University of Stirling, Stirling, Scotland FK9 4LA
Phone: +44 (0)1786 467473
Fax: +44 (0)1786 467469
Web page: http://www.econ.stir.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Nigeria; risk-taking; bank efficiency; bank competition;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2009-12-19 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EFF-2009-12-19 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003.
"Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk,"
Research Department Publications
4353, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Yeyati, Eduardo Levy & Micco, Alejandro, 2007. "Concentration and foreign penetration in Latin American banking sectors: Impact on competition and risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1633-1647, June.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," Business School Working Papers cinco, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Emanuel Barnea & Moshe Kim, 2007. "Interest rate margins: a decomposition of dynamic oligopolistic conduct and market fundamentals," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 487-499.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Lovell, C. A. K. & Sahay, Pankaj, 1997. "The impact of liberalization on the productive efficiency of Indian commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 332-345, April.
- Juan Fernández de Guevara & Joaquín Maudos & Francisco Pérez, 2005.
"Market Power in European Banking Sectors,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 109-137, April.
- Isik, Ihsan & Kabir Hassan, M., 2003. "Financial deregulation and total factor productivity change: An empirical study of Turkish commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1455-1485, August.
- O. De Jonghe & R. Vander Vennet, 2007.
"Competition versus Efficiency: What drives franchise values in European banking?,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
07/491, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- De Jonghe, Olivier & Vennet, Rudi Vander, 2008. "Competition versus efficiency: What drives franchise values in European banking?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1820-1835, September.
- K. Sudhir & Pradeep K. Chintagunta & Vrinda Kadiyali, 2005. "Time-Varying Competition," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(1), pages 96-109, September.
- Alexander F. Tieman & Wilko Bolt, 2004.
"Banking Competition, Risk, and Regulation,"
IMF Working Papers
04/11, International Monetary Fund.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993.
"A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-85, May.
- Tortosa-Ausina, Emili & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Armero, Carmen & Conesa, David, 2008.
"Sensitivity analysis of efficiency and Malmquist productivity indices: An application to Spanish savings banks,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 184(3), pages 1062-1084, February.
- Emili Tortosa Ausina, 2002. "Sensitivity Analysis Of Efficiency And Malmquist Productivity Indices: An Application To Spanish Savings Banks," Working Papers. Serie EC 2002-30, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 2004. "Patterns of competition in banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 287-313.
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & Luintel, Kul B., 2001.
"Financial restraints in the South Korean miracle,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 459-479, April.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1996.
"Technical progress, inefficiency and productivity change in U.S. banking, 1984-1993,"
1994-021, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Wheelock, David C & Wilson, Paul W, 1999. "Technical Progress, Inefficiency, and Productivity Change in U.S. Banking, 1984-1993," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 212-34, May.
- Salas, Vicente & Saurina, Jesus, 2003. "Deregulation, market power and risk behaviour in Spanish banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 1061-1075, December.
- Canhoto, Ana, 2004. "Portuguese banking: A structural model of competition in the deposits market," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 41-63.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2004.
"Competition and Financial Stability,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 453-80, June.
- Mukherjee, Kankana & Ray, Subhash C. & Miller, Stephen M., 2001. "Productivity growth in large US commercial banks: The initial post-deregulation experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 913-939, May.
- Marcel Canoy & Machiel van Dijk & Jan Lemmen & Ruud de Mooij & JÃ¼rgen Weigand, 2001. "Competition and stability in banking," CPB Document 15, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Konishi, Masaru & Yasuda, Yukihiro, 2004. "Factors affecting bank risk taking: Evidence from Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 215-232, January.
- Anthony N. Rezitis, 2006. "Productivity growth in the Greek banking industry: A non-parametric approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 119-138, May.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Yoshiro Tsutsui, 2002.
"Has Competition in the Japanese Banking Sector Improved?,"
Discussion Papers in Economics and Business
02-09-Rev, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP), revised Sep 2003.
- Uchida, Hirofumi & Tsutsui, Yoshiro, 2005. "Has competition in the Japanese banking sector improved?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 419-439, February.
- Kandori, Michihiro, 1991. "Correlated Demand Shocks and Price Wars during Booms," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 171-80, January.
- Stijn Claessens & Luc Laeven, 2004.
"What drives bank competition? Some international evidence,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 563-592.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2004. "What Drives Bank Competition? Some International Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 563-83, June.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2003. "What drives bank competition? some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3113, The World Bank.
- Matthews, Kent & Murinde, Victor & Zhao, Tianshu, 2007. "Competitive conditions among the major British banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2025-2042, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Kim, M. & Kristiansen, E.G. & Vale, B., 2001.
"Endogenous Product Differentiation in Credit Markets: What do Borrowers Pay for?,"
27/2001, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Kim, Moshe & Kristiansen, Eirik Gaard & Vale, Bent, 2005. "Endogenous product differentiation in credit markets: What do borrowers pay for?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 681-699, March.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1998.
"The Winner's Curse in Banking,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 359-392, October.
- Vicente Salas & Jesús Saurina, 2002. "Credit Risk in Two Institutional Regimes: Spanish Commercial and Savings Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 203-224, December.
- Beck, H.T.L. & Cull, R. & Jerome, A., 2005.
"Bank privatization and performance: Empirical evidence from Nigeria,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125503, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Cull, Robert & Jerome, Afeikhena, 2005. "Bank privatization and performance: Empirical evidence from Nigeria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2355-2379, August.
- Beck, Thorsten & Cull, Robert & Jerome, Afeikhena, 2005. "Bank privatization and performance - emprical evidence from Nigeria," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3511, The World Bank.
- Angelini, Paolo & Cetorelli, Nicola, 2003. " The Effects of Regulatory Reform on Competition in the Banking Industry," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(5), pages 663-84, October.
- Yener Altunbas & Santiago Carbo & Edward P.M. Gardener & Philip Molyneux, 2007. "Examining the Relationships between Capital, Risk and Efficiency in European Banking," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(1), pages 49-70.
- Doris Neu Berger, 1998. "Industrial Organization of Banking: A Review," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 97-118.
- Worthington, Andrew C., 1999. "Malmquist indices of productivity change in Australian financial services," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 303-320, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1997.
"Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-8, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & DeYoung, Robert, 1997. "Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 849-870, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1995. "Problem Loans and Cost Efficiency in Commercial Banks," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan, 1997.
"Can Relationship Banking Survive Competition?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1592, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Astrid A. Dick, 2006. "Nationwide Branching and Its Impact on Market Structure, Quality, and Bank Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(2), pages 567-592, March.
- Lewis, Peter & Stein, Howard, 1997. "Shifting fortunes: The political economy of financial liberalization in Nigeria," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 5-22, January.
- Gonzalez, Francisco, 2005. "Bank regulation and risk-taking incentives: An international comparison of bank risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1153-1184, May.
- Nickell, S.J., 1993.
"Competition and Crporate Performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99155, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- N. Papanikolaou & M. Delis & S. Brissimis, 2008.
"Exploring the nexus between banking sector reform and performance: Evidence from newly acceded EU countries,"
DEOS Working Papers
0917, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Manthos D. & Papanikolaou, Nikolaos I., 2008. "Exploring the nexus between banking sector reform and performance: Evidence from newly acceded EU countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2674-2683, December.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Manthos D. Delis & Nikolaos I. Papanikolaou, 2008. "Exploring the Nexus between Banking Sector Reform and Performance: Evidence from Newly Acceded EU Countries," Working Papers 73, Bank of Greece.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Schargrodsky, Ernesto & Sturzenegger, Federico, 2000. "Banking regulation and competition with product differentiation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 85-111, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Liam Delaney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.