Optimal Voucher Privatization Fund Bids When Bidding Affects Firm Performance
AbstractVoucher privatization has emerged as a feature of the transition in post-communist economies. While the choice problem facing voucher holders is strikingly similar to the conventional portfolio choice problem, the voucher portfolio problem (VPP) has two important distinguishing characteristics. First, the proportion of ownership that will result from a given voucher bid for the shares of a firm offered for privatization is unknown. This follows since a pre-auction share price is lacking and knowledge of other competing voucher bids is not available. Second, the performance of the privatized firm will depend on the composition of ownership, and, as a consequence of the first characteristic, cannot be known at the time a voucher bid is submitted. In this paper we investigate the VPP when these characteristics prevail and when the bidders have various skills in managing and restructuring firms in which they have acquired ownership shares.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 95-20.
Date of creation: Nov 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics, 44 West 4th Street, New York, NY 10012-1126
Phone: (212) 998-0860
Fax: (212) 995-4218
Web page: http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Katz, Barbara G. & Owen, Joel, 1997. "Optimal Voucher Privatization Fund Bids When Bidding Affects Firm Performance," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 25-43, February.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Aghion, Philippe, 1994.
"On the Speed of Transition in Central Europe,"
4481322, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Maxim Boycko & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1993. "Privatizing Russia," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(2), pages 139-192.
- Katz Barbara G. & Owen Joel, 1993. "Privatization: Choosing the Optimal Time Path," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 715-736, December.
- Philippe Aghion & Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1994. "On the Speed of Transition Central Europe," NBER Working Papers 4736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boycko, Maxim & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1994.
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 249-266, April.
- Maxim Boycko & Andrei Shlelfer & Robert Vishny, 1993. "Voucher Privatization," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 85, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Roland, Gérard & Verdier, Thierry, 1992.
"Privatization in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
612, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roland, Gerard & Verdier, Thierry, 1994. "Privatization in Eastern Europe : Irreversibility and critical mass effects," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 161-183, June.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1991. "Privatisation in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects," Papers 9105, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1991. "Privatization in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects," DELTA Working Papers 91-21, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Laban, Raul & Wolf, Holger C, 1993. "Large-Scale Privatization in Transition Economies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1199-1210, December.
- Elena Yusupova, 2006. "Information Asymmetry, Share Mispricing and the Coordination Problem: Investor Portfolio Choice in Czech Voucher Privatization," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp301, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Marko Pahor & Janez Prasnikar & Anuska Ferligoj, 2004. "Building a corporate network in a transition economy: the case of Slovenia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 307-331.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Viveca Licata).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.