User Guide for Statistics Canada's Annual Multifactor Productivity Program
AbstractThe Canadian Productivity Accounts (CPA) of Statistics Canada maintain two multifactor productivity (MFP) programs. The Major Sector Multifactor Productivity Program develops the indexes of MFP for the total business sector and major industry groups in the business sector. The Industry Multifactor Productivity Program or the Industry KLEMS Productivity Program develops the industry productivity database that includes MFP indexes, output, capital (K), labour (L), energy (E), materials (M) and services (S) inputs for the individual industries of the business sector at various levels of industry aggregation. This paper describes the methodologies and data sources that are used to construct the major sector MFP indexes and the industry productivity database (or the KLEMS database). More specifically, this paper is meant to: provide a background of the major sector MFP program and the industry KLEMS productivity program; present the methodology for measuring MFP; describe the data sources and data available from the MFP programs; present a quality rating of the industry KLEMS productivity data; and describe the research agenda related to the MFP program.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division in its series The Canadian Productivity Review with number 2007014e.
Date of creation: 06 Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Economic accounts; Productivity accounts;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wulong Gu & Amélie Lafrance, 2010.
"Productivity Growth in Canadian and U.S. Regulated Industries,"
International Productivity Monitor,
Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 19, pages 50-65, Spring.
- Gu, Wulong Lafrance, Amelie, 2008. "Productivity Growth in Canadian and U.S. Regulated Industries," The Canadian Productivity Review 2008020e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division.
- Ricardo de Avillez & Chris Ross, 2011. "A Portrait of the Productivity Performance of the Canadian Provinces, 1997-2007," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 21, pages 48-69, Spring.
- Ricardo de Avillez & Chris Ross, 2011. "A Synthesis of the CSLS Provincial Productivity Reports, 1997-2007," CSLS Research Reports 2011-03, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Andrew Sharpe & Eric Thomson, 2010. "New Estimates of Labour, Capital and Multifactor Productivity Growth and Levels for Canadian Provinces at the Three-digit NAICS Level, 1997-2007," CSLS Research Reports 2010-06, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Andrew Sharpe & Jean-Francois Arsenault, 2009. "New Estimates of Multifactor Productivity Growth for the Canadian Provinces," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 18, pages 25-37, Spring.
- Baldwin, John R. Gu, Wulong, 2008. "Outsourcing and Offshoring in Canada," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2008055e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.