The Canadian Manufacturing Sector: Adapting to Challenges
AbstractThis paper examines the challenges that the manufacturing sector has faced over the last half century focusing on both long- and short-term performance. It first examines whether there is evidence that this sector is in long-term decline. The paper also investigates how the industry has responded to specific shocks during this period from exchange-rate movements, trade liberalization and business cycles. It finds little evidence of long-term decline. Rather it describes how manufacturing has adapted to varying challenges, whether from demand shifts due to business cycles, relative price shifts associated with exchange rate shocks or changes in tariff regimes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch in its series Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series with number 2009057e.
Date of creation: 28 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Business cycles; Business performance and ownership; International trade; Manufacturing;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2009-08-16 (Business Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2009-08-16 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tang, Jianmin & Baldwin, John R. & Jarmin , Ron S., 2002. "L'importance accrue des producteurs plus petits dans le secteur de la fabrication : comparaison Canada-Etats-Unis," Serie de documents de recherche sur l'analyse economique (AE), Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques 2002003f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Branker, K. & Pearce, J.M., 2010. "Financial return for government support of large-scale thin-film solar photovoltaic manufacturing in Canada," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4291-4303, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.