Growth History, Knowledge Intensity and Capital Structure in Small Firms
AbstractThis paper explores the financial characteristics of successful Canadian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch in its series Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series with number 2003006e.
Date of creation: 06 Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Business performance and ownership; Financial statements and performance; Small and medium-sized businesses;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, John R. Beckstead, Desmond Gellatly, Guy Peters, Alice Yates, Janice, 2000. "Patterns of Corporate Diversification in Canada: An Empirical Analysis," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2000150e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1997.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
5996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, John R. Gellatly, Guy Johnson, Joanne Peters, Valerie, 1999. "The Defining Characteristics of Entrants in Science-based Industries," The Defining Characteristics of Entrants in Science-based Industries, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division, number stcb3e, May.
- Elijah Brewer, III & Hesna Genay & William E. Jackson, III & Paula R. Worthington, 1996. "How are small firms financed? Evidence from small business investment companies," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Nov, pages 2-18.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Binks, Martin R & Ennew, Christine T, 1996. " Growing Firms and the Credit Constraint," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 17-25, February.
- Charles P. Himmelberg & Bruce C. Petersen, 1991.
"R&D and internal finance: a panel study of small firms in high-tech industries,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Himmelberg, Charles P & Petersen, Bruce C, 1994. "R&D and Internal Finance: A Panel Study of Small Firms in High-Tech Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 38-51, February.
- Baldwin, John R. Johnson, Joanne, 1995. "Business Strategies in Innovative and Non-innovative Firms in Canada," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1995073e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Baldwin, John R. Bian, Lin Dupuy, Richard Gellatly, Guy, 2000. "Failure Rates for New Canadian Firms: New Perspectives on Entry and Exit," Failure Rates for New Canadian Firms: New Perspectives on Entry and Exit, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division, number stcb5e, May.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Olena Havrylchyk, 2010.
"Foreign Bank Presence and its Effect on Firm Entry and Exit in Transition Economies,"
2010-10, CEPII research center.
- Olena Havrylchyk, 2010. "Foreign Bank Presence and Its Effect on Firm Entry and Exit in Transition Economies," Working Paper / FINESS 5.2, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Havrylchyk, Olena, 2012.
"The effect of foreign bank presence on firm entry and exit in transition economies,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1710-1721.
- Havrylchyk, Olena, 2011. "The effect of foreign bank presence on firm entry and exit in transition economies," BOFIT Discussion Papers 11/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- David B. Audretsch & Werner Bönte & Prashanth Mahagaonkar, 2007. "Nascent Entrepreneurs, Innovation and Financing Constraints," DRUID Working Papers 07-09, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Miroslav Mateev & Yanko Anastasov, 2010. "Determinants of small and medium sized fast growing enterprises in central and eastern Europe: a panel data analysis," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 34(3), pages 269-295.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.