Head Office Employment in Canada, 1999 to 2005
AbstractThis paper provides an analysis of trends in business sector head office employment in Canada from 1999 to 2005. It investigates changes in the number of head offices and head office employment over this period. The paper also examines the effect of foreign ownership on head office employment. It asks how much foreign-controlled firms contribute to Canadian head office employment and employment growth and what happens to head office employment when control of a firm changes from domestic to foreign. The paper also looks at the rate at which head offices enter and exit over time with a view to ascertaining whether the loss of a head office is a rare occurrence or a relatively common event. Finally, the paper presents trends in head office employment across metropolitan areas over the past six years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division in its series Insights on the Canadian Economy with number 2006014e.
Date of creation: 13 Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Labour; Business performance and ownership; Employment and unemployment; Business ownership; Entry; exit; mergers and growth; Globalization and the labour market; Labour mobility; turnover and work absences;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2006-07-28 (Business Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2006-07-28 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-URE-2006-07-28 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, John R. Beckstead, Desmond Brown, W. Mark, 2003. "Hollowing-out, Trimming-down or Scaling-up? An Analysis of Head Offices in Canada, 1999 to 2002," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2003019e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Baldwin, John R. Brown, W. Mark, 2005. "Foreign Multinationals and Head Office Employment in Canadian Manufacturing Firms," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2005034e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Thomas Klier & William Testa, 2002. "Location trends of large company headquarters during the 1990s," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 12-26.
- Malcolm Burrows, 2009. "Unlocking More Wealth: How to Improve Federal Tax Policy for Canadian Charities," e-briefs 86, C.D. Howe Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.