Global Links: Long-term Trends in Foreign Investment and Foreign Control in Canada, 1960 to 2000
AbstractThis paper outlines broad changes in foreign ownership in Canada over the last forty years. It makes use of several different but complementary data sources that are produced by Statistics Canada to analyze the importance of foreign ownership in Canada. Over the last four decades, foreign multinationals that are operating in Canada have experienced first, a retrenchment and then, a resurgence in their activities. This retrenchment occurred during the period when foreign investment was tightly regulated and could be found across most industries, but was particularly evident in the energy and mining sector. The resurgence that has occurred subsequent to the introduction of a more liberal regulatory regime was also relatively widespread, though there are several sectors like the science-based and energy industries where this has not occurred.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis in its series The Canadian Economy in Transition with number 2005008e.
Date of creation: 18 Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Business adaptation and adjustment; Business ownership; Business performance and ownership;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caves, Richard E, 1974. "Causes of Direct Investment: Foreign Firms' Shares in Canadian and United Kingdom Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 279-93, August.
- Steven Globerman & Daniel M Shapiro, 1999. "The Impact of Government Policies on Foreign Direct Investment: The Canadian Experience," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(3), pages 513-532, September.
- Horst, Thomas, 1972. "Firm and Industry Determinants of the Decision to Invest Abroad: An Empirical Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 258-66, August.
- Baldwin, John R. & Gellatly, Guy, 2007. "Global Links: Multinationals in Canada: An Overview of Research at Statistics Canada," The Canadian Economy in Transition, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis 2007014e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
- Nicolas Petrosky-Nadeau, . "Endogenous Flows of Foreign Direct Investment and International Real Business Cycles," GSIA Working Papers, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business 2011-E16, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Gu, Wulong & Baldwin, John R., 2005. "Global Links: Multinationals, Foreign Ownership and Productivity Growth in Canadian Manufacturing," The Canadian Economy in Transition, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis 2005009e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.