Communicating Intellectual Capital: Evidence from Social and Sustainability Reporting
AbstractSince the work of Guthrie & Petty (2000) several studies on intellectual capital (IC) reporting have been made to analyze the company disclosure process both public and private communication channels. Within public communication channels, company annual report is the most used document but in general it shows a low level of IC information. Other analyzed public channels are the initial public offering (IPO) prospectuses (Bukh et al. 2005; Cordazzo, 2007), the intellectual capital statements (Bukh et al., 2001; Mouritsen et al., 2001, 2002) and the web sites (Gerpott et al., 2008), all showing different level of IC information. The aim of this paper is to assess in depth the intellectual capital disclosure (ICD) communicated through social and sustainability reports in a sample of 37 Italian listed companies by a longitudinal content analysis (2005, 2006). IC disclosure (on human, organizational and relation capital) is analyzed in quantitative & qualitative, time dimension and financial & non financial terms in order to analyzed more in depth the ICD process. Findings show an overall increase in all categories of intellectual capital over the two years with a particular relevance for the organizational capital category. Overall the amount of ICD is higher when compared to the majority of previous studies based on annual report and it demonstrates the need to investigate more in depth a wide range of company reports to understand carefully the companies intellectual capital disclosure process and the possibility to integrate intellectual capital report and social and sustainability reporting in a single report.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna of Pisa, Istituto di Management in its series Working Papers with number 200805.
Date of creation: 01 May 2008
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anita Jose & Shang-Mei Lee, 2007. "Environmental Reporting of Global Corporations: A Content Analysis based on Website Disclosures," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 72(4), pages 307-321, June.
- Beretta, Sergio & Bozzolan, Saverio, 2004. "A framework for the analysis of firm risk communication," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 265-288.
- Denis Cormier & Michel Magnan & Barbara Van Velthoven, 2005. "Environmental disclosure quality in large German companies: Economic incentives, public pressures or institutional conditions?," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 3-39.
- Sidney J Gray & Lee H Radebaugh & Clare B Roberts, 1990. "International Perceptions of Cost Constraints on Voluntary Information Disclosures: A Comparative Study of U.K. and U.S. Multinationals," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(4), pages 597-622, December.
- Emma Garcia-meca & Isabel Parra & Manuel Larran & Isabel Martinez, 2005. "The explanatory factors of intellectual capital disclosure to financial analysts," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 63-94.
- Garcia-Meca, Emma & Martinez, Isabel, 2007. "The use of intellectual capital information in investment decisions: An empirical study using analyst reports," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 57-81.
- Bukh, P. N. & Larsen, H. T. & Mouritsen, J., 2001. "Constructing intellectual capital statements," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 87-108, March.
- Lajili, Kaouthar & Zeghal, Daniel, 2006. "Market performance impacts of human capital disclosures," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 171-194.
- Indra Abeysekera, 2008. "Intellectual capital practices of firms and the commodification of labour," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 21(1), pages 36-48, January.
- John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey & Shiva Rajgopal, 2004.
"The Economic Implications of Corporate Financial Reporting,"
NBER Working Papers
10550, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R. & Rajgopal, Shiva, 2005. "The economic implications of corporate financial reporting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-3), pages 3-73, December.
- van der Laan Smith, Joyce & Adhikari, Ajay & Tondkar, Rasoul H., 2005. "Exploring differences in social disclosures internationally: A stakeholder perspective," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 123-151.
- Haniffa, R.M. & Cooke, T.E., 2005. "The impact of culture and governance on corporate social reporting," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 391-430.
- Shevlin, Terry, 2004. "Discussion of "A framework for the analysis of firm risk communication"," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 297-302.
- Bontis, Nick & Dragonetti, Nicola C. & Jacobsen, Kristine & Roos, Göran, 1999. "The knowledge toolbox:: A review of the tools available to measure and manage intangible resources," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 391-402, August.
- Baruch Lev & Stefano Zambon, 2003. "Intangibles and intellectual capital: an introduction to a special issue," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 597-603.
- Christine A. Botosan, 2002. "A Re-examination of Disclosure Level and the Expected Cost of Equity Capital," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 21-40, 03.
- Botosan, Christine A., 2004. "Discussion of a framework for the analysis of firm risk communication," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 289-295.
- Manuel Branco & LÃºcia Rodrigues, 2006. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Resource-Based Perspectives," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 69(2), pages 111-132, December.
- Florence Depoers, 2000. "A cost benefit study of voluntary disclosure: some empirical evidence from French listed companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 245-263.
- Taru VuontisjÃ¤rvi, 2006. "Corporate Social Reporting in the European Context and Human Resource Disclosures: An Analysis of Finnish Companies," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 69(4), pages 331-354, December.
- Roberts, Robin W., 1992. "Determinants of corporate social responsibility disclosure: An application of stakeholder theory," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 595-612, August.
- Beretta, Sergio & Bozzolan, Saverio, 2004. "Reply to: Discussions of "A framework for the analysis of firm risk communication"," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 303-305.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gaetano Esposito).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.