Aggregation with price variation and heterogeneity across consumers
AbstractIn the aggregation literature, prices and price and income derivatives are often assumed not to vary across consumers. These assumptions may not be fulfilled: prices often vary and consumers are heterogeneous in the way they respond to price and income changes. In this paper we develop and illustrate a framework for consistent aggregation over consumers within an Almost Ideal Demand System (AIDS) model where prices, total expenditure and the response to these variables vary across consumers. We show how the frameworks previously discussed in the literature on aggregation of an AIDS model may be written as a special case within this general framework. The method may easily be adapted to any functional form.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 489.
Date of creation: Nov 2006
Date of revision:
Aggregation; Consumer demand; Heterogeneity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-13 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Denton, Frank T. & Mountain, Dean C., 2001. "Income distribution and aggregation/disaggregation biases in the measurement of consumer demand elasticities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 21-28, October.
- Lau, Lawrence J. & Wu, Ho-Mou, 1996. "Exact aggregation under summability and homogeneity with individually variable prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 329-335, March.
- Frank Denton & Dean Mountain, 2004.
"Aggregation effects on price and expenditure elasticities in a quadratic almost ideal demand system,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(3), pages 613-628, August.
- Frank T. Denton & Dean C. Mountain, 2002. "Aggregation Effects on Price and Expenditure Elasticities in a Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 374, McMaster University.
- Bente Halvorsen & Bodil M. Larsen, 2008. "The Role of Heterogeneous Demand for Temporal and Structural Aggregation Bias," Discussion Papers 537, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.