Global per capita CO2 emissions - stable in the long run?
AbstractGlobal per capita CO2 emissions have been relatively stable during the last decades. It has been suggested that the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and its scenario makers have ignored this stability. This paper presents a simple analytical framework explaining generally the stability of global per capita CO2 emissions during the last decades. The same analytical framework, supported by numerical illustrations, indicates that this stability is unlikely to persist and that current trends in regional per capita emissions are in close agreement with the IPCC scenarios
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 438.
Date of creation: Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Global carbon emissions; SRES; IPCC; scenarios.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q30 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2005-12-09 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2005-12-09 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark C. Strazicich & Ross McKitrick, 2005.
"Stationarity of Global Per Capital Carbon Dioxide Emissions: Implications for Global Warming Scenarios,"
05-03, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Ross McKitrick & Mark C. Strazicich, 2005. "Stationarity of Global Per Capita Carbon Dioxide Emissions: Implications for Global Warming Scenarios," Working Papers 0503, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Bjart J. Holtsmark & Knut H. Alfsen, 2004. "PPP-correction of the IPCC emission scenarios - does it matter?," Discussion Papers 366, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.