Samling Errors and Cross-Country Comparisons of Income Inequality
AbstractThe growing interest in cross-national comparisons of income inequality is primarily a result of the establishment of the Luxembourg Income Study (LIS) database and the wide range of studies on income inequality based on LIS data. These studies suffer, however, from a major weakness since sampling errors neither are reported nor taken into account when nations are ranked according to estimates of the Gini coefficient or some alternative measure of inequality. This paper discusses the impact of accounting for sampling error when making comparisons of income inequality across nations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 252.
Date of creation: Mar 1999
Date of revision:
Income inequiality; the Gini coefficient; sampling errors;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-06-04 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaberge, Rolf, 1997. "Interpretation of changes in rank-dependent measures of inequality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 215-219, August.
- Magne Mogstad, 2007. "Measuring Income Inequality under Restricted Interpersonal Comparability," Discussion Papers 498, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Erling Røed Larsen, 2002. "Consumption Inequality in Norway in the 80s and 90s," Discussion Papers 325, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Langørgen, Audun & Mogstad, Magne & Østensen, Marit, 2008.
"The Impact of Local Public Services and Geographical Cost of Living Differences on Poverty Estimates,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3686, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rolf Aaberge & Audun Langørgen & Magne Mogstad & Marit Østensen, 2008. "The Impact of Local Public Services and Geographical Cost of Living Differences on Poverty Estimates," Discussion Papers 551, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Bhuller, Manudeep & Langørgen, Audun & Mogstad, Magne, 2010. "The Distributional Impact of Public Services When Needs Differ," IZA Discussion Papers 4826, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.