The Dynamics of a Behavioral Two-Sex Demographic Model
AbstractIn this paper, we examine the dynamic properties of a particular demographic model. An essential part of the model is the marriage function which is derived from assumptions about the behavior of women and men in a market where each individual is looking for a suitable partner. By means of simulation experiments we investigate different aspects of the model. Specifically, we find that it is difficult to determine parameters related to preferences, birth and death rates, such that a non-trivial stable equilibrium is attained.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 247.
Date of creation: Jan 1999
Date of revision:
Two-sex demographic models; Marriage function; Birth rates; Non-trivial equilibria;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-06-04 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dagsvik, John K, 2000.
"Aggregation in Matching Markets,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(1), pages 27-57, February.
- John K. Dagsvik & Ane S. Flaatten & Helge Brunborg, 1998. "A Behavioral Two-Sex Marriage Model," Discussion Papers 238, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1990.
"Two-Sex Demographic Models,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 399-420, April.
- Pollak, R.A., 1990. "Two-Sex Demographic Models," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 90-07, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Pollak, R.A., 1990. "Two-Sex Demographic Models," Working Papers 90-07, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Roth, Alvin E. & Sotomayor, Marilda, 1992.
Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications,
in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 485-541
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.