Random Coefficients and Unbalanced Panels: An Application on Data from Norwegian Chemical Plants
AbstractA framework for analyzing substitution and scale properties, and technical change from plant-level panel data is presented. Focus is on comparing the constant and random coefficient specification of the substitution and scale parameters and investigating the potential variation of the parameters across firms. Characteristics of the model framework are (i) an equation system consisting of a three-factor translog cost function and the corresponding cost-share equations, (ii) random firm specific heterogeneity in coefficients, and (iii) a Maximum Likelihood procedure allowing for unbalanced panel data. The empirical results, based on data from Norwegian chemical plants, indicate substantial firm specific heterogeneity in substitution and scale properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 235.
Date of creation: Oct 1998
Date of revision:
Panel Data. Random Coefficients. Unbalanced Data. Heterogeneity. Production technology;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kjersti-Gro Lindquist, 2002. "The Effect of New Technology in Payment Services on Banks' Intermediation," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B3-2, International Conferences on Panel Data.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.