Financial Deregulation and Consumer Behavior: the Norwegian Experience
AbstractThe present paper uses the model by Campbell and Mankiw (1991) to examine the Norwegian consumer behavior and the role of the financial deregulation during the 1980s. For quarterly data on non-durables and services, we estimate the fraction of current income consumers to be in the range of 37% and 75% before the financial deregulation. This evidence indicates a substantial departure from the rational, forward-looking behavior, and there is thus reason to believe that liquidity constraints did bind the Norwegian consumer behavior until the mid 1980s. Our results further suggest that this evidence has disappeared after the financial deregulation in that the estimated fraction of current income consumers is essentially zero after 1985. This finding is so much more remarkable in that hardly any other aggregate time-series data set, from any country, conforms this closely with the forward-looking hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 156.
Date of creation: Oct 1995
Date of revision:
Consumer behavior; financial deregulation; econometrics.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lindberg, Sara, 1999. "Consumption and Capital Mobility in the Nordic Countries," Working Paper Series 1999:6, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Einar Bowitz & Ådne Cappelen, 1997. "Incomes Policies and the Norwegian Economy 1973-93," Discussion Papers 192, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Elin Halvorsen, 2003. "Financial Deregulation and Household Saving. The Norwegian Experience Revisited," Discussion Papers 361, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Sverre Grepperud, 1997. "Soil Depletion Choices under Production and Price Uncertainty," Discussion Papers 186, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.