Criminometrics, Latent Variables, Panel Data, and Different Types of Crime
AbstractA behavioural model of crime is developed and applied to panel data on the number of crimes and clear-ups for the 53 police districts in Norway for the period 1970-78. Data on both total crime and on 12 different types of crime is employed. The model consists of behavioural relations of the offenders and the police, and of measurement relations allowing for random and systematic errors in the registered crimes and clear-ups. A theoretical analysis reveals that the model is identified under certain conditions, and our empirical analysis supports the hypothesis that these conditions are satisfied. Detailed empirical results on deterrence elasticities and other structural parameters are presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 124.
Date of creation: Aug 1994
Date of revision:
Economics of crime; deterrence; equilibrium models; panel data; latent variables; measurement errors.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- K14 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Criminal Law
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cerro, Ana María & Rodríguez Andrés, Antonio, 2011. "Typologies of Crime in the Argentine Provinces. A Panel Study 2000-2008," MPRA Paper 44460, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lauridsen, Jorgen, 2010. "Is Polish Crime Economically Rational?," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 40(2).
- Cerro, Ana María & Ortega, Ana Carolina, 2012. "Sources of Regional Crime Persistence Argentina 1980-2008," MPRA Paper 44482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jorgen Lauridsen, 2009. "Is Baltic Crime Economically Rational?," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 31-38, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.