Investment and Financial Constraints An Empirical Analysis of Norwegian Firms
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between a firm's investment decision and its financial situation. We present a model of investment, where the cost of external finance is increasing in the debt ratio. The model is estimated using a panel of Norwegian manufacturing establishments for the period 1977-1990. The empirical analysis finds a positive relationship between a firm's debt ratio and its marginal return to capital. This indicates that firms with high debt ratios have higher costs of finance than other firms. Including convex adjustment costs in the model did not change this result, as the size of the adjustment costs was found to be very small.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 109.
Date of creation: Feb 1994
Date of revision:
Investment; Financial markets; Panel data.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Forest, Danielle & Gouriéroux, Christian & Salvas-Bronsard, Lise, 1997. "D’une analyse de variabilités à un modèle d’investissement des firmes," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 73(1), pages 331-350, mars-juin.
- Mundaca, B. Gabriela, 2007. "Corporate investment, cash flow level and market imperfections: The case of Norway," Memorandum 03/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics, revised 23 Feb 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.