Financing Professional Sports Facilities
AbstractThis paper examines public financing of professional sports facilities with a focus on both early and recent developments in taxpayer subsidization of spectator sports. The paper explores both the magnitude and the sources of public funding for professional sports facilities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists in its series Working Papers with number 1102.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in in Financing for Local Economic Development, 2nd ed., Zenia Kotval and Sammis White, eds., (New York: M.E. Sharpe Publishers, forthcoming).
Stadiums; arenas; sports; subsidies;
Other versions of this item:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R53 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Public Facility Location Analysis; Public Investment and Capital Stock
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Banks Have Interest Rate Swapped $20 Billion From Taxpayer Pockets
by Mark Bergen in Mark Bergen (Econometro) on 2012-01-13 16:00:19
- Arena subsidies: Not just for big cities anymore
by Victor Matheson in The Sports Economist on 2011-05-19 01:44:33
- Narme, Thibaut, 2013. "On the dynamic of franchise (re)location in the North-American sport leagues," MPRA Paper 50873, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Victor Matheson, 2012. "Assessing the infrastructure impact of mega-events in emerging economies," Working Papers 1203, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.