Economic Impact of 10K Race on the Greater Charleston, SC Area
AbstractThis paper will deal with the economic impact of the Cooper River Bridge Run on the Lowcountry region of South Carolina, and specifically on the city of Charleston and town of Mt. Pleasant. Additionally, although the event is also billed, at least theoretically, as one that also contributes to a labor income impact, and the creation of additional local jobs, that might happen only in theory. Furthermore, intangible impacts of the race might in reality be the greatest benefit of them all for the participants and local areas. Finally, the benefit of self-administered survey (web-based) over traditionally administered (physically, through volunteers) will be discussed and examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists in its series Working Papers with number 0718.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Economic Impact; Sport Tourism; Social Impact; Health Impact;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-SPO-2007-08-08 (Sports & Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2007-08-08 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert A. Baade & Victor A. Matheson, 2001. "Home Run or Wild Pitch? Assessing the Economic Impact of Major League Baseball's All-Star Game," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 2(4), pages 307-327, November.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2002. "The Economic Impact of Postseason Play in Professional Sports," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 3(3), pages 291-299, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.