Testing the Effects of Short-Selling Restrictions on Asset Prices
AbstractTesting the effects of short-selling restrictions on asset prices is challenging: shifts in stock lending supply usually are not observed directly. This paper takes advantage of a unique dataset that contains actual shifts in the lending supply curve for several stocks on the Brazilian market. The dataset comprises daily information from January 2009 to July 2011 from the whole stock lending market in Brazil. We find that short-selling restrictions generate overpricing and that this effect increases with greater dispersion of investor opinion, consistent with a number of theoretical studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of São Paulo (FEA-USP) in its series Working Papers, Department of Economics with number 2012_18.
Date of creation: 12 Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Professor Luciano Gualberto, 908 - CEP 05508-900 São Paulo - SP
Web page: http://www.fea.usp.br/feaecon/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, Douglas W. & Verrecchia, Robert E., 1987. "Constraints on short-selling and asset price adjustment to private information," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 277-311, June.
- Jones, Charles M. & Lamont, Owen A., 2002.
"Short-sale constraints and stock returns,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 207-239.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Mark Grinblatt, .
"Do Industries Explain Momentum?,"
CRSP working papers
480, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Shalen, Catherine T, 1993. "Volume, Volatility, and the Dispersion of Beliefs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 405-34.
- Ofek, Eli & Richardson, Matthew & Whitelaw, Robert F., 2004. "Limited arbitrage and short sales restrictions: evidence from the options markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 305-342, November.
- Eric C. Chang & Joseph W. Cheng & Yinghui Yu, 2007. "Short-Sales Constraints and Price Discovery: Evidence from the Hong Kong Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(5), pages 2097-2121, October.
- Chen, Joseph & Hong, Harrison & Stein, Jeremy C., 2002.
"Breadth of ownership and stock returns,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 171-205.
- Alessandro Beber & Marco Pagano, 2013.
"Short-Selling Bans Around the World: Evidence from the 2007–09 Crisis,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 68(1), pages 343-381, 02.
- Alessandro Beber & Marco Pagano, 2009. "Short-Selling Bans around the World: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis," CSEF Working Papers 241, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 03 Sep 2011.
- Beber, Alessandro & Pagano, Marco, 2009. "Short-Selling Bans around the World: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 7557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alessandro Beber & Marco Pagano, 2010. "Short-Selling Bans around the World: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-106/2/DSF 1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Harrison, J Michael & Kreps, David M, 1978. "Speculative Investor Behavior in a Stock Market with Heterogeneous Expectations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 92(2), pages 323-36, May.
- Duffie, Darrell & Garleanu, Nicolae & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2002. "Securities lending, shorting, and pricing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 307-339.
- Michael J. Aitken & Alex Frino & Michael S. McCorry & Peter L. Swan, 1998. "Short Sales Are Almost Instantaneously Bad News: Evidence from the Australian Stock Exchange," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2205-2223, December.
- Fernando D. Chague & Rodrigo De-Losso, Alan De Genaro, Bruno C. Giovannetti, 2013. "Short Selling and Inside Information," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2013_06, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pedro Garcia Duarte).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.